This broccoli slaw has changed my mind, I have never been a fan of coleslaw. In fact, I used to call it “cold-slop.” I learned two things that ended up making this recipe one of our favorites. First, my former West Virginian roommate, Brooke Ann, gave me her recipe for coleslaw dressing. I like it much better than store bought dressing. Second, I learned that you could use broccoli stems instead of cabbage. This solved two problems for me because I never liked the broccoli stems, but I always felt bad throwing them out. I like to fill the salad out with some shredded carrots. They add a nice color and flavor. I hope you like it! ~Jennifer
- 4 large broccoli stems
- 3 medium carrots
- ½ cup low fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Peel carrots and set aside.
- Carefully slice the tough outer skin off the broccoli stems. (If you look at a cross-section you can see the 1/16th in. skin.)
- Grate the carrots and broccoli stems (I recommend using a food processor or electric shredder).
- Put the sugar in a medium bowl and add the vinegar.
- Stir for a minute to allow the vinegar to begin to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the mayo and stir.
- Mix in the veggies and chill before serving.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.