Everyone needs a good Italian recipe and this basil sun dried tomato chicken tortellini is the one after your heart, plus it’s all in one pan!
At the risk of sounding totally ridiculous, MWAHAHAHAAHAHA. Yes, you heard me and it wasn’t the first time I uttered such a thing. The first time being when made this basil sun dried tomato chicken tortellini. You guys. It’s good. It’s real good. Usually our favorite meal is fried tortellini, one of Cade’s best recipes, but I had no choice but to make up a new recipe.
I do this kind of thing ALL. THE. TIME. I have Costco fever. It’s sad. But when you buy a big, fat jar of Sun Dried Tomatoes only to realize that there are only 4 of you in the house and 2 of those eat like little birds you realize rather quickly that you’d better start thinking up new recipes. Why do I do that? And why can’t grocery stores sell bigger, but not as big as Costco jars? DUDE.
And that’s not the only thing. Their heavy cream is GINORMOUS. Guys, who is buying that much?! Ok, I did in fact grab some, but it was only because I really didn’t want to stop in at the store after already spending an hour eating samples, er I mean shopping.
Let’s get back to the pasta before I start rambling about why the bakery does not do enough sampling (I am pretty sure it’s once every other year) and how I’d like to change that. You really could use regular pasta in this dish, but I love the texture and flavor that tortellini adds. It’s something extra without adding anything special to the dish. The chicken is seasoned, sauce is rich and flavorful (and a little cheesy!) and that basil, well we all know how I feel about basil. 🙂
Are Sun Dried Tomatoes Really Dried in the Sun?
Few, if any store-bought “sun dried” tomatoes are actually dried in the sun.
But, they will still have the same rich, delicious flavor.
Can Tortellini be Reheated?
You can reheat left over pasta that hasn’t been added to sauce by placing it in a metal strainer and dipping it in boiling water until it is heated through.
If the sauce has been added, you can reheat by putting it into a shallow ovenproof dish, covering it with foil, and baking at 350° F until heated through, about 20 minutes.
How Long Will Left Over Tortellini Keep?
Refrigerate the tortellini in shallow airtight containers or resealable plastic bags for 3-5 days.
Basil Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Tortellini
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Basil Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Tortellini
- 1 Package Three Cheese Tortellini
For the Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts boneless skinless
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning we used McCormick
- Salt and Pepper just a pinch on each breast front and back
For the Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Butter unsalted
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes Packed in Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Basil chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat with a little olive oil.
- Quickly season the chicken with the paprika, poultry seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Add to the pan and turn to medium low heat.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes and flip, cooking for an additional 5-6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove to a plate to cool slightly.
- Once the juices have redistributed, slice the chicken in thin pieces and set aside.
- Turn the burner back to medium heat and place the same pan back on the burner with the butter.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and sun dried tomatoes and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Next, add the heavy cream and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove half of the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add back in with the remaining sun dried tomatoes, and bring back to a simmer.
- Allow to cook for 3 minutes and add the cheeses and basil.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini until it all floats to the top and is tender, then add to the pasta sauce with the chicken and season to taste.
- Serve immediately.