Use up your summer zucchini and whip up this easy, cheesy BBQ chicken zucchini nachos recipe! They make for a great party appetizer or a quick, healthy dinner!
I originally posted this recipe back in 2018 with the help of my sweet friend Kristy Denney. She is the best and always has the best healthy dinner ideas! Since then, I have changed the recipe a little, added a few more toppings, and they are better than ever. Zucchini nachos are the perfect way to use up your summer squash and indulge in a slightly healthier version of nachos. Because honestly, who doesn’t love nachos?!
I love good food but I love it even more when it’s easy and healthy…or at least healthy-ish! These can be a great game-day or party app, a quick lunch for mom (just make a smaller version), or make a giant pan for dinner for the family! Easy, cheesy, good!
Ingredients for Zucchini Nachos
All you really need is a few zucchinis and some cheese to make zucchini nachos, but why stop there when you can load them up with BBQ chicken, black beans, grilled corn, tomatoes, etc.? Here is the full ingredients list:
- Zucchinis – picked fresh from the garden or bought from the grocery store
- Olive Oil – helps cook the zucchini on the grill and keeps them from sticking
- Salt and Pepper – adds flavor
- Garlic Salt – adds flavor to the zucchini
- Chicken – you can use rotisserie chicken, grill your own chicken, or use canned chicken
- BBQ Sauce – pick your favorite BBQ sauce or make your own
- Monterey Jack Cheese – we love monterey jack for nachos, but you could use whatever cheese you want
- Bleu Cheese Crumbles – we love the creamy umami burst the bleu cheese crumbles add, and they are totally optional if you have bleu cheese haters in the house
- Black Beans – drain and rinse the beans so that they don’t add any moisture to the nachos
- Grilled Corn – you can grill your own corn on the cob or buy grilled corn from the store
- Tomato – ok, I know there aren’t tomatoes in these photos, but I love some diced tomatoes on top
- Pickled Onions – these are quick and easy to make and add the best burst of flavor
- Red Onions – diced and sprinkled on top
- Bleu Cheese Dressing – I’ve linked to our homemade dressing, but you could also buy your favorite brand
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post. You can also add to or change the toppings to your liking.
How to Make Zucchini Nachos
Zucchini nachos are so crazy easy to make. Even this cheesy bbq chicken zucchini nachos recipe! We like to grill the sliced zucchini first and pile them up with the toppings and stick them in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese and get everything crispy.
Can You Make Zucchini Nachos Ahead of Time?
You can certainly save a little time whipping up these BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos by using pre-cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken or the shredded, canned chicken from Costco. No shame in my game here- I use that stuff regularly. Life is busy, so take all the shortcuts you want!
It’s not a very good idea to make zucchini ahead of time as it cools quickly and turns mushy.
Also, you can keep these super simple with just the chicken, cheese and blue cheese or you can load them up with even more toppings!
Toppings for Nachos
Maybe you want to add a little avocado, jalapenos, or BACON! We keep them pretty basic so our kids are more likely to eat them. But again, you could also just whip up a couple of different batches to everyone’s likings!
If you’re worried about the kids not really loving these nachos, you can first try cooking a portion of the zucchini with just a little bit of cheese on them, and serve the bbq chicken separately for the kids. Or, these can be an adults only nacho party and you can make the kids their own version with regular tortilla chips!
Tip: Try making these nachos with our Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce!
Can Zucchini Be Frozen?
This looks like such a simple meal to slice up, freeze and throw in the oven at any time, however it really doesn’t freeze well. There’s too much water in squash to freeze it unless it’s a butternut squash or shredded zucchini, but even then it gets a little crazy to try because of all that water.
Alright, now tell me are you guys doing with your summer zucchini? Will you dish your favorite recipes ’cause I’m on a zucchini kick!
Healthy nachos…I bet you never thought there could be such a thing! This cheesy BBQ chicken zucchini nachos recipe is my new favorite way to use up all the zucchini we are getting from the garden. And the bonus is that the kids love them!
More Zucchini RECIPES
- Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Pizza Crust
- Mexican Roasted Zucchini
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Coconut Oil Double Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Muffins
- Sticky Japanese Chicken Wings with Zucchini Chips
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos
- 3 Zucchinis, medium to large
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, extra virgin
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 12 oz Chicken, I prefer to use rotisserie chicken or the grilled chicken I've linked to here
- 1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce, plus extra for drizzling over the top
- 3/4 Cup Cheese, shredded Mexican or Monterey Jack
- 1/3 Cup Bleu Cheese Crumbles
- 1 Can Black Beans , drained
- 1 Ear Grilled Corn, or 1 cup frozen grilled corn (most stores, even costco and trader joes are now selling this)
- 1 Large Tomato, diced, *optional
- Pickled Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Red Onion, minced
- Bleu Cheese Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425 and heat up the grill to medium high heat.
- Rinse and dry the zucchini. Slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Place in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper, and garlic salt.
- Grill until grill marks appear, flip and grill again, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a cookie sheet.
- In another bowl, combine the chicken and barbecue sauce until sauce is evenly distributed.
- Remove the zucchini chips from oven. Cover with shredded cheese, the bbq chicken, then top with blue cheese crumbles, black beans, diced tomatoes and grilled corn.
- Place in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. I like to turn my oven to broil for one last minute to get the cheese nice and bubbly!
- Remove from oven and serve with an additional drizzle of bbq sauce and bleu cheese dressing and sprinkle with the diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro!
- Feel free to fancy 'em up with any other toppings you have on hand: avocado, green onion, chopped lettuce.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
My husband said “this is the best healthy recipe you have ever made! Put this on our menu again next week!!” So so good!!!
Yippee!! You made my day Amanda! Love to hear this!
So creative idea …. as usual 🙂 Thank you !
They are so tasty!! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Brittany Audra @ Audra’s Appetite
LOVE this idea to use zucchini as a base for nachos! I tried that once last year…but never with BBQ chicken on top! YUM 🙂
You’re going to love it!!
How did this become a thing on my opening screen, everyday it’s Oh Sweet Basil I cannot find a way to stop it I cannot find where I might have said I’m following it. It is just there and I am tired of it. I don’t need any more recipes. If I do I can google them. Please I beg you tell me how to get out of this disagreeing mess.
I’m so sorry about this, but it is not something that we can control. You’ll need to change settings on your end. Best wishes!