Indulge in nachos with these Cheesy BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos! It’s a healthy dinner idea that the kids will love just as much as the adults!
Hi Sweet Basil friends! It’s Kristy here, from Boys Ahoy , just popping into to say hello and share a super easy, healthy dinner dish with you! Cheesy BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos (a thing I like to call, zachos)! They are the perfect way to use up your summer squash and indulge in a slightly healthier version of nachos. Because honestly, who doesn’t love nachos?!
If you read my blog or follow me on instagram then you know I love good food but love it even more when it’s easy (like really easy!) and healthy…or at least healthy-ish! These can be a a great game-day or party app, a quick lunch for mom (just make a smaller version), or make a giant pan for dinner for the family! Easy, cheesy, good!
How to Make Zucchini Nachos
Zucchini nachos are so crazy easy to make. Even this cheesy bbq chicken zucchini nachos recipe! You just chop, throw whatever toppings on the zucchini and throw it all in the oven.
Can You Make Zucchini Nachos Ahead of Time?
You can certainly save a little time whipping up these BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos by using pre-cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken or the shredded, canned chicken from Costco. No shame in my game here- I use that stuff regularly. Did I mention I have five kids? Two six month old twins? Therefore, I take all the shortcuts in cooking I can!
It’s not a very good idea to make zucchini ahead of time as it cools quickly and turns mushy.
Also, you can keep these super simple with just the chicken, cheese and blue cheese or you can load them up with even more toppings!
Toppings for Nachos
Maybe you want to add a little avocado, tomato, or BACON! We keep them pretty basic so our kids are more likely to eat them. But again, you could also just whip up a couple of different batches to everyone’s likings!
If you’re worried about the kids not really loving these nachos, you can first try cooking a portion of the zucchini with just a little bit of cheese on them, and serve the bbq chicken separately for the kids. Or, these can be an adults only nacho party and you can make the kids their own version with regular tortilla chips!
Tip: Try making these nachos with our Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce!
Can Zucchini Be Frozen?
This looks like such a simple meal to slice up, freeze and throw in the oven at any time, however it really doesn’t freeze well. There’s too much water in squash to freeze it unless it’s a butternut squash or shredded zucchini, but even then it gets a little crazy to try because of all that water.
Alright, now tell me are you guys doing with your summer zucchini? Will you dish your favorite recipes ’cause I’m on a zucchini kick!
Looking for more marinade recipes? A good marinade is one of my favorite things, so make sure you try Coconut Oil Double Chocolate Zucchini Cookies, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Muffins or Sticky Japanese Chicken Wings with Zucchini Chips.
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos
- 3 medium to large zucchini
- 12 oz cooked and shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce plus extra for drizzling over the top
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Rinse and dry the zucchini. Slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Place in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper, and garlic salt. Arrange in a single layer as close together as possible on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. You want the zucchini to be slightly crisp to hold the toppings and not get mushy, so don't over-bake here.
- In another bowl, combine the chicken and barbecue sauce until sauce is evenly distributed.
- Remove the zucchini chips from oven. Cover with shredded cheese, the bbq chicken, then top with blue cheese crumbles. Place back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. I like to turn my oven to broil for one last minute to get the cheese nice and bubbly!
- Remove from oven and serve with an additional drizzle of bbq sauce! Fee free to fancy 'em up with any other toppings you have on hand: avocado, green onion, chopped lettuce.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.