Every year it’s the same thing, what to make with zucchini. We always seem to have too many.This year we made a killer zucchini pizza crust.
Our youngest daughter immediately knew that something was up with this pizza, “uh, Dad the pizza is bad. It’s green.” And her sweet little face was absolutely full of concern. That was a few years ago, and now our kids know that not only is this pizza not “bad” at all, but it’s totally awesome.
Is Zucchini Healthy?
You’ll surely be impressed with the nutritional bounty that zucchini offers.
It’s low-calorie (with only 17 calories per 100 grams) and high in fiber, and has no cholesterol or unhealthy fats.
In fact, a zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
We aren’t saying to replace that carby goodness that pizza crust is, but this is a great option for a healthier pizza and the perfect way to use up those big squash taking up space on your counter or in your fridge. Between freezing grated zucchini to be used in breads and spaghetti or marinara sauces throughout the year and making our healthier Zucchini Lasagna or my guilty pleasure that I cannot resist when Carrian makes it, Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread there’s a lot of zucchini happening in our kitchen but this pizza is the family favorite.
And any mom or dad knows, anything that’s a “family favorite” as in absolutely everyone loves it is like winning a big, fat gold medal. Winning!!!
Your crust does have a little flour, but I’m going to test it with both gluten free and oat flour to see if we can skip the grains for our GF friends. It’s also a very sticky crust in the beginning so you’re going to bake the crust first.
Now, after you’ve made it all golden and lovely, bring on the pizza toppings. Our famous Pizza Sauce is still going wild on Pinterest so obviously I vote you use that. Carrian and I love pepperoni and sausage while the girls are still die hard pepperoni only girls. One day we will get them to branch out. Maybe they can try this Pulled Pork Pizza? Carrian also likes black olives but I’m pretty sure they are straight from the devil. 😉 You do whatever makes you happy.
Looking for another fun way to use zucchini? Try these zucchini tortillas!
Zucchini Pizza Crust
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Zucchini Pizza Crust
- 4 small or 2 regular zucchini shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or gluten free, or oat flour
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese
- dried Italian seasoning about 1 teaspoon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- [pizza Sauce]
- pizza toppings of choice
- Preheat pizza stone at 450 for 20 minutes.
- Place the zucchini in a towel and wring out all of the water, and I do mean all of it.
- Squeeze until you cannot squeeze anymore.
- Mix the crust together by stirring the zucchini, flour, whole wheat flour, cheese, seasoning, salt and pepper, and eggs, and although it is very sticky, spread it in a circle on parchment and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- The crust should appear slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and top with marinara, cheese and toppings of choice.
- Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes and enjoy!