Sweet Moist Cornbread Recipe
Cornbread is all about having the perfect ratio of ingredients. If the ratio is off, you get bland, dry and crumbly cornbread which is the worst thing ever. When the ratio is right, you have perfectly tender, moist and rich cornbread which is exactly what we have in this homemade cornbread recipe.
Growing up in Washington, I am all about the homemade sweet cornbread. I know this is going to bring out some haters who say there should be no sweetness in cornbread, but that’s not for me. I mean, I’ll eat it because carbs are the best thing ever, but I have to stick with my northern roots and go sweet all the way!
What’s Needed for Homemade Cornbread?
One of the great things about this cornbread recipe is that it uses normal household ingredients. For the ingredients, you’ll need:
- Baking Powder
What is Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is course flour made from ground dried corn. It gives this sweet cornbread recipe the perfect amount of corn flavor.
Can I Use a Bisquick Substitute?
Bisquick is a pre-made baking mixture that you can buy at the grocery store. It consists of flour, shortening, salt, and baking powder. You will find it on the baking aisle. It is most commonly used for making pancakes and waffles.
If you don’t have Bisquick, our friends over at My Baking Addiction have a recipe for a Bisquick substitute.
How to Make Sweet Cornbread
- Like most quick breads, you mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then carefully incorporate them together.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together thoroughly. In a separate bowl, stir the wet ingredients together until smooth.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently combine.
- Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes and never open the oven until 30 minutes.
- Then, you can place foil on top to stop the browning if needed. When it is done, open the oven door slightly, turn the oven off, and let the cornbread sit in the oven for 2 minutes before removing it.
How to Store Cornbread
Homemade sweet cornbread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days. If you want it to last a little longer, then keep it in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 1 week.
Can you Freeze Cornbread?
Yes, homemade sweet cornbread actually freezes great! Make sure it has cooled completely, then wrap it thoroughly in foil or plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag. It is best used within 2 to 3 months.
How to Make Cornbread Moist
What we all want in homemade cornbread is for it to be a moist cornbread. If you have dry, crumbly cornbread, there are a few things that could have gone wrong.
- One possibility is that your dry to wet ingredients ratio is incorrect. You want make sure your ingredients are measured precisely.
- Another possibility is that you either over mixed the batter when combining the wet and dry ingredient or that you over baked it.
What to Serve with Cornbread
Hopefully you have a few recipes in mind to serve with this homemade sweet cornbread, but if you are still on the hunt, then we have a few ideas:
- Classic Instant Pot Chili
- One Pot Cauliflower Chowder
- Cheesy Ground Beef Enchilada Chili
- Vegetarian Chili
- Ground Beef Stew
- Turkey Pot Pie Soup
Tips for the Best Cornbread
- It is critical that you don’t over mix or over bake this cornbread. It is perfectly fine if a few streaks of dry ingredients remain in the batter.
- You can use any kind of milk you’d like in this sweet moist cornbread recipe. However, whole or 2% milk will add the most moisture and flavor to the homemade cornbread.
- Note that you must use a 9×9-inch baking dish for this recipe, NOT an 8×8-inch baking dish. If desired, you can use a 9×13-inch baking dish, but your cornbread will bake up thinner.
More SIDE DISHES you’re sure to love:
- Macaroni Salad
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Herbed Focaccia Bread
- Best Mashed Potatoes
- Easy 7-Up Biscuits
- Grilled Corn
- Best Baked Beans
- Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- Best Potato Rolls
- All our SIDE DISH recipes!
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 2 Cups Bisquick
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Teaspoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large Eggs , slightly beaten
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter , melted
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Honey Butter , for topping (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bisquick, cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, butter, honey, milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until completely combined being as gentle as possible.
- Pour into a greased 9x9-inch baking dish. *
- Bake for 15 minutes and then carefully open the oven a little, slide a piece of tinfoil over the bread and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Open the oven, turn it off and let the corn bread rest 5 minutes before removing.
- Let cool before cutting and serve with our famous honey butter.
- Do NOT use an 8x8-inch baking dish. If desired, you can use 9x13-inch baking dish (the cornbread will just be less thick).
- Cornbread can be frozen for up to 3 months.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.