Broccoli slaw that is so simple and so tasty, it will blow your mind! A simple creamy homemade dressing and some veggies is all you need!
I’ve never been a big fan of slaw. It always looks like it’s drowning in mayo. I would skip the coleslaw every time at summer BBQs. I don’t know…it just never looked appealing to me. Then someone mentioned broccoli stems instead of cabbage. I had to try it! It has changed my mind on slaw forever!
What Ingredients are Needed for Broccoli Slaw?
I said that this was simple, so now I’m going to prove it. You can go with the store bought broccoli slaw to make super duper easy, or go totally from scratch. Either way, it’s going to be a hit at the BBQ. Here is your ingredients list:
- Broccoli Stems (or a bag of broccoli slaw)
- Carrots (shredded)
- Mayonnaise (light)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Raisins (or craisins)
- Ground Mustard
- Salt Pepper
- Sliced Almonds
The measurements for each ingredient is listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Broccoli Slaw
Here are the steps for making this yummy veggie side dish:
- Peel the carrots and set them aside.
- Slice off the outer skin of the broccoli stems.
- Grate the carrots and broccoli stems (use a food processor or electric shredder, or buy a bag of broccoli slaw).
- Combine the sugar and vinegar in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the shredded vegetables and raisins and combine. Then chill.
- Top with sliced almonds before serving if desired. I love the crunch it adds!
The detailed instructions can also be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Is Broccoli Slaw Healthier Than Cabbage Slaw?
Broccoli slaw is packed with many antioxidants and other nutrients that cabbage does not offer.
What Are the Health Benefits Of Broccoli?
Just one cup of broccoli provides over 100 percent of your daily need for vitamin C and vitamin K.
Broccoli is also high in vitamin A, folate, and potassium.
How Long Will Broccoli Slaw Keep?
Cole slaw will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Slaw should be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated within 2 hours.
What to Eat with Broccoli Slaw?
I’ve talked about this being a BBQ side, but it could really go great with just about any main dish. Here are a few of our favorites:
Which main dish I you going to make with it first?
It is time for broccoli slaw to be a part of your life! The perfect amount of sweet tangy dressing on shredded broccoli and carrots with pops of raisin and the crunch of sliced almonds. Who is coming to my BBQ?
More BBQ Side Dishes:
- Macaroni Salad
- Baked Beans
- Grilled Corn
- Marinated Tomatoes Salad
- Potato Salad
- Grilled Vegetables
- Pea Salad
- All SIDE DISHES here!
- 3 Carrots, medium
- 4 Broccoli Stems, large *see note
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise, low fat
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup Raisins, or craisins
- Almonds, sliced
- Peel carrots and set aside.3 Carrots
- Carefully slice the tough outer skin off the broccoli stems. (If you look at a cross-section you can see the 1/16th in. skin.)4 Broccoli Stems
- Grate the carrots and broccoli stems (I recommend using a food processor or electric shredder).
- Put the sugar in a medium bowl and add the vinegar.2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Stir for a minute to allow the vinegar to begin to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the mayo, ground mustard, salt and pepper and stir.1/2 Cup Mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon Ground Mustard, Salt and Pepper
- Mix in the veggies and chill before serving. Top with sliced almonds if desired.Almonds, 1 Cup Raisins
- You can also buy a bag of broccoli slaw at the grocery store and skip shredding the broccoli stems and carrots yourself. Broccoli slaw usually comes with shredded carrots and sometimes red cabbage.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.