A delicious combination of brown sugar buttery oat bottom, a melty chocolate and rich caramel center topped off with another layer of oat crumble!
I love switching up desserts. I get so sick of the same ‘ol stuff. Don’t get me wrong, chocolate chip cookies and brownies are great but when that’s all that you’re giving your little sweet tooth, that sweet tooth gets pretty restless. Lucky for us, our friends brought this carmelitas recipe over for a little game night a few weeks back and the hubby and I fell in love.
The top and bottom of these carmelitas are like an oatmeal crisp and then they have a gooey chocolate and caramel layer sandwiched right in the middle.
Oh sweet deliciousness!
Gooey, melty, and a little bit of crispy in each bite, it was divine!
What makes this recipe even better is that it is so easy to make. Even taking into account the different layers it’s pretty much just as easy as could be which is perfect for when you want a little something sweet but you aren’t up for a huge kitchen project.
If you’re looking to try something new you really need to give these crunchy, gooey, crunchy carmelitas a try!
What Is Carmelitas?
Carmelitas are a layered dessert bar.
The crust and the topping are made with the same buttery, brown sugar, vanilla-infused oatmeal and flour mixture.
The center of a carmelita is made with chocolate and caramel.
How Long Will Carmelitas Keep?
Carmelitas will keep for up to a week at room temperature.
Carmelitas should be stored in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Carmelitas?
Carmelitas can be frozen for several months.
They should be wrapped well in plastic wrap and foil, or stored in a heavy duty freezer bag.
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups melted butter or margarine
- 1.5 bags caramel squares 11 ounce bags
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients to make mix.
- Melt caramels , evaporated milk and cream in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often until smooth.
- Sprinkle ½ of oat mix into 8x11 or 9x13 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked mixture and top with melted caramel mixture
- Sprinkle remaining oat mix on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.