Chocolate cherry cake is a moist chocolate cake with cherry pie filling. It’s easy to make, with box cake mix, and topped with a thick and fudgy chocolate frosting.
If you love chocolate cake you’re going to love this fruity twist! The chocolate cake mix is mixed together with a can of cherry pie filling to make a decadent cherry chocolate cake recipe.
The best part about this recipe (aside from the flavor!) is how easy it is to make. Because we’re using a mix, this recipe comes together in a few steps. Then you throw it in the oven for about 45 minutes! Once you take it out you’ll want to make sure the cake is completely cool before you start frosting it. Otherwise you’ll end up with melty frosting all over the place!
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cake Frosting:
The key to a smooth and creamy frosting is whipping the butter for the full and allotted amount of time. You’ll want to beat the butter for 2-3 full minutes until it gets light and fluffy. Once you add the powdered sugar you’re going to do the same thing! The longer you beat the frosting the more air is incorporated and the more fluffy it will be.
There’s also two kinds of chocolate in this chocolate frosting recipe! Melted chocolate and cocoa powder give this recipe all of its chocolatey flavor.
Once the frosting is done you’ll spread a thick layer over the cooled cake. I liked to use all the frosting in this recipe on the cake because I love all the frosting because you can decide how much you want to frost and save the rest in the refrigerator for another recipe if you want.
Top your cake with chocolate chips or extra cherries! Then cut them into square and serve immediately!
You can also store the cake at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to one week. If you want to make it really far in advance you can make the cake and freeze it for up to 2-3 months then let it defrost and frost it once it’s ready to serve.
Chocolate Cherry Cake
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1-15 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- 1-21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi sweet Chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted and cooled
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3-4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Pour in prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooled, make the frosting. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat the butter on high speed until light and fluffy, for 2-3 full minutes.
- On low speed, gradually add the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder and beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the melted chocolate, followed by the milk, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt. Beat for 1 minute.
- Then turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and beat for 3 full minutes.
- Frost cooled cake and top with sprinkles.
- Slice and serve.
- Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other chocolatey recipes:
My mom’s chocolate sheet cake is probably the classic chocolate sheet cake recipe you grew up with, but in case you lost it, here it is along with a cooked chocolate frosting!
Or this Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake!