This chocolate cherry cake is a moist chocolate cake that’s made with cherry pie filling. It’s easy to make, with boxed cake mix, and topped with a thick and fudgy chocolate frosting!
Easy Chocolate Cherry Cake
If you love chocolate cake, you’re going to love this fruity recipe! Boxed chocolate cake mix is mixed together with a can of cherry pie filling to make a decadent cherry chocolate cake recipe.
The best part about this box chocolate cake mix recipe (aside from the flavor!) is how easy it is to make. Because we’re using a store-bought cake mix, this recipe comes together in a few steps. Then you throw it in the oven for about 45 minutes.
There are also two kinds of chocolate in this chocolate frosting recipe. Melted chocolate and cocoa powder give this recipe all of its chocolatey flavor.
Once the frosting is done, you’ll spread a thick layer over the cooled cake. I liked to use all the frosting in this recipe on the cake because I love all the frosting, but you can decide how much you want to frost and save the rest in the refrigerator for another recipe if you want.
Top your cake with chocolate chips or extra cherries! Then cut them into squares and serve immediately.
Chocolate Cherry Cake Ingredients
This box cake mix recipe couldn’t be simpler to make! Here’s everything you’ll need to make this super easy chocolate cake with cherry pie filling:
- Boxed chocolate cake mix
- Cherry pie filling
- Almond extract
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Whole milk
- Light corn syrup
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cake
The key thing to remember when making this box chocolate cake mix recipe is that you do NOT mix together the chocolate mix like it instructs on the packaging. Instead, follow these instructions:
- Stir together the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cake batter into a greased 9×13-inch baking pan and bake.
- Once the cherry cake has cooled completely, make the homemade chocolate frosting.
- Frost the cake and top with additional chocolate chips or sprinkles.
Can I Use Another Type of Canned Pie Filling?
I bet that would be delicious! I feel like any canned fruit pie filling would work in place of the cherry pie filling. If you use another type of pie filling in this easy chocolate cake recipe, please leave a comment below telling us how it turned out!
Can I Use Another Flavor of Boxed Cake Mix?
As long as you buy a 15-ounce boxed cake mix, this cherry cake recipe should turn out okay. I imagine you’d need to stick with “regular” cake mixes (i.e. plain yellow, white, or chocolate cake) and avoid specialty cake mixes, like angel food cake. I’ve only made this recipe with chocolate cake mix, so I can’t say for certain.
How to Store Chocolate Cherry Cake
You can also store the cake at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to one week. If you want to make it really far in advance, you can make the cake and freeze it for up to 2-3 months, then let it defrost and frost it once it’s ready to serve.
Tips for Making Chocolate Cherry Cake
Be sure not to add more almond extract than the box cake mix recipe below calls for. Almond extract can quickly overwhelm the other flavors in this chocolate cherry cake, so be careful!
The key to a smooth and creamy frosting is whipping the butter for the full amount of time. You’ll want to beat the butter for 2-3 minutes until it gets light and fluffy. Once you add the powdered sugar you’re going to do the same thing! The longer you beat the frosting, the more air is incorporated and the more fluffy it will be.
Once you take it out you’ll want to make sure the cake is completely cool before you start frosting it. Otherwise you’ll end up with melty frosting all over the place!
More EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES:
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake
- Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake
- Fudgy Peanut Butter Brownie Cake
- Wacky Chocolate Cake
- Simple Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- ALL OF OUR CAKE RECIPES!
Chocolate Cherry Cake
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1-15 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- 1-21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate , melted and cooled
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 3-4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Pour in prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooled, make the frosting. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat the butter on high speed until light and fluffy, for 2-3 full minutes.
- On low speed, gradually add the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder and beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the melted chocolate, followed by the milk, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt. Beat for 1 minute.
- Then turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and beat for 3 full minutes.
- Frost cooled cake and top with sprinkles.
- Slice and serve.
- Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.