Free Bonus: 5 Secrets to Stress-Free Dinners

Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts

Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts

I cannot believe how many people have never had a spudnut! It’s something that needs to be immediately remedied as they are light, puffy, little fried donuts of perfection. Just think about how wonderful potato rolls are and then imagine them as a fried donut. Seriously, you’ll be shoveling cinnamon sugar spudnut donuts into your mouth as fast as you can.

Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts

Lately we’ve been completely surrounded by music, which isn’t all that uncommon as we’ve always been a big music family, but now our little one is taking piano lessons which means we’ve got a whole new kind of music going on. It may not be perfect, but good mercy I love it. I took piano lessons when I was little but I was a total doofus and quit. Don’t worry, I did take up something else instead but we will share that story for another day. 😉

Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts

So we have one learning the piano and while her timing is a tad off (she’s only been at it for a couple of months) she’s actually doing quite well. I’m so proud of her and I so hope that she sticks with it. Heaven knows I wish I had. In fact, I totally enjoy sitting with her to practice so I can try to learn a little as well.

Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts

And I totally plan on one day taking lessons again. I mean, why not? I’m a big believer in continuous education anyway. Have any of you ever taken piano lessons or gave them up and regret it? I looooove music and while dance, gymnastics etc are all wonderful I secretly think every child should be exposed so some kind of music lesson. It’s just so good for them! And did you know that kids in band or that play a musical experiment generally do better in school? Bonus!

What Is a Spudnut?

A spudnut is a potato doughnut.

It is made with either mashed potatoes or potato starch instead of flour.

The potato makes spudnuts lighter and creamier than other doughnuts.

Do Spudnuts Taste Like Potatoes?

Spudnuts  don’t taste like mashed potatoes.

They just add this extra hint of sweetness and the texture is a bit different than a plain yeast donut.

Can Doughnuts Be Frozen?

Yes, doughnuts can be frozen.

Wrap donuts tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag.

Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts

• 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar
  • *Cinnamon Sugar for dredging
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 large eggs beaten slightly

Instructions

• Allow the potatoes to cool and then mash in a large bowl with skins on until no chunks remain.
  • Add the eggs, and milk to the mixture and stir.
  • In a small bowl add the sugar and baking powder and whisk to combine.
  • Stir into the potato mixture then add the salt, shortening and vanilla.
  • Add the flour 1 cup at a time (you may only need 2 to 3 cups depending on how much potato you used) until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
  • Do not knead the dough.
  • Heat oil in a cast iron pot to medium high or 375 degrees.
  • Meanwhile, on a floured surface, roll out the dough, about 1/2" thick.
  • Cut out your donuts and with your hand very near the oil (trust me, it will be less of a chance to splash and burn this way) drop the donuts, a few at a time in the oil.
  • Turn constantly with a metal spider or slotted spoon until golden brown.
  • Drain on a plate with a paper towel and then immediately into cinnamon sugar or desired topping.
Nutrition Facts
Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Spudnut Donuts
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories 94
% Daily Value*
Cholesterol 11mg4%
Carbohydrates 17.4g6%
Fiber 0.5g2%
Sugar 6g7%
Protein 2.1g4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

donuts

Yeast Donuts

Gordough's Donuts the Miss Shotcake was so delicious I could have eaten three more if it wasn't so filling! ohsweetbasil.com_-2

Strawberry Shortcake Donut

krispy kreme

Krispy Kreme Donut Copycat

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Oh, Sweet Basil on Instagram

Want more of our family, recipes, and all our shenanigans?

Check us out on Instagram and be sure to tag us @ohsweetbasil #ohsweetbasil for a chance to be featured!

Free Email Series 5 Secrets to Stress-Free Dinners

About the authors

Cheney Family

Cade and Carrian have three children and love to spend time together whether it’s vacationing or snuggled up on the couch for a good movie.

And this family especially loves to eat.

They love everything from the keep you fit and healthy to the get out your sweat pants indulgent and everything in between.

But most of all, they love the memories made, shared and treasured and it’s all thanks to a meal shared together with loved ones.

34 comments

• Hi, what kind of oil are you frying them in please? first timer here,
    thanks!

• Peanut or canola are our frying oils of choice!

• Can any type potatoe be used?
    Also, could you use left over mashed potatoes?

• You could use leftover mashed potatoes but be careful of how they are seasoned as it could leave you with a more savory doughnut. The golden potatoes are creamy and are best used for the doughnut versus a starchy russet. However, reds or rose potatoes would work fine. 🙂

• Hi. I’d like to try these, but I’m wondering how to measure one cup of whole potatoes? One large potato could fill a cup, or several small potatoes, but there would be empty spaces in the cup. Should they be measured after they’re mashed up?
    Thanks you.

• Hi Cheryl, I know it’s such a weird way to measure, but it’s such an old recipe and I didn’t dare take away the original instructions. So, I literally stick the potatoes in a cup to measure. It all depends on how big the yukon golds are, but sometimes I only use two and other times three.

• The directions mention to mix in eggs, but I don’t see eggs listed in the ingredient list. Could you please let me know how many eggs to add? I grew up on Spudnuts and would love to make these! Thank you so much!

• The eggs are the last thing in the list of ingredients. two large eggs, beaten slightly

• is there a way to bake them instead; maybe in a greased muffin pan?

• Debbie, It would be worth trying but as I have not done that I can’t guarantee results. I would love to hear if you do though!

• Do you ship? I live in Wilmington, DE. If you do ship, is there anyway I can preserve the spudnuts from going bad. Can they be placed in a refrigerator? What would be the cost of three dozen spudnuts including shipping? Thank you.

• Unfortunately they aren’t for purchase

• many years ago we had a spudnut donut shop in my home town. used to stop after school and get them. yummy! have to try this.

• Would live to try these but don’t have shortening, can I use margarine?

• What is the “Secret” ingredient? Love?

• I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I remember a Spudnut Donut Bakery Shop in my hometown when I was a kid. We would sneak off and go there for Spudnut doughnuts whenever we could. They are the best!

• I want this recipe my friend used to make then & lost her recipe

• Oh this sparked my sweet tooth! How perfect 🙂

• I want all the donuts in the world, including those delicious ones we devoured at Gourdough’s! But I really, really want these healthy veggie donuts because… well, duh.

• I am one of those people that has never had a spudnut! That definitely needs to change. I mean fried dough balls rolled in cinnamon sugar…sounds awesome!!!

• The town that I grew up in had a Spudnut shop, and it was always the biggest treat to go there. I’d always want a strawberry frosted spudnut and a cherry sprite. I’ve never made them at home, but now I must!!

• My grandma used to make these and they were amazing! I don’t know why I haven’t given them a try yet!

• What a yummy little snack-dessert! I love anything with potatoes. You mention to roll out dough to 1/2″ thick and cut out, but what size cutter did you cut them out with??? Do they puff up into balls when fried??? The dough’s NOT rolled into balls and fried??? SORRY, I’ve never made doughnuts before!!! Please explain a little bit more???
    Thanks so much,
    Suzanne

• Hi Suzanne, any donut cutter you buy will be great and comes with the donut hole cutter so you just cut and go. Super easy. You definitely don’t want to try rolling the dough as it would look more like a funny shaped fritter versus donut holes. They will puff up into perfect balls when fried. Good luck!

• I have to try this Spudnut!

• You’ll love them, Lori!

• I need to try these! spudnuts sound delish!

• I’ve never had a spudnut either. It sounds interesting. I took piano lessons for 9 years and still play. My daughter was taking them and quit. One of my sons it’s taking guitar in school and I have another daughter that taught herself too play piano but hates lessons.

• That’s amazing that she taught herself! I’m so jealous!

• I want 3 dozen of these RIGHT NOW.

• I have never had these either, but they look so melt-in-your-mouth delicious! I can imagine eating several and licking cinnamon-sugar off the plate!

• These look delicious! I wish I kept up piano lessons, but like you said it’s never to late to learn!

• Ok, I’ am jumping on the I-have-never-heard-of-a-spudnut train..but I guess I can jump off right away since I now know of their existence! These look SO good! I am a sucker for donuts and I can only imagine how the addition of potato makes these light airy and…I need them. yesterday.

• You absolutely must try them!

Free Email Series 5 Secrets to Stress-Free Dinners