This Cookies and Cream Red Velvet Molten Lava Cakes recipe is taking over the world. The best Valentine’s Dessert recipe, heck best dessert recipe ever!
Years ago we posted about our Copycat Chili’s Molten Lava Cakes Recipe and it is a huge reader favorite recipe. I mean, literally goes crazy every Valentine’s Day, in fact it’s a popular dessert recipe all year round. Last year we made the best decision we’ve ever made for this blog, we made Cookies and Cream Red Velvet Molten Lava Cakes.
How do you do Valentine’s Day? Is it all about spoiling your significant other? Do you let the kids do things at school and count that good? Do you make it only about the kids or is it about the whole family?
Cade and I have never been huge about Valentine’s Day, and Cade especially isn’t a big fan. We make it a special day for the kids and take care of one another as well, but we also strive to do that all year round. We really make an effort to do Daddy/Child and Mommy/Child dates during February.
These molten lava cakes are the perfect way to show love! Love at Valentine’s Day, love at Christmas, love on a Friday, or heck, even a Wednesday! They are so indulgent and decadent. Don’t they look so fancy? Like I spent hours and hours in the kitchen? The truth is quite the opposite! They are so simple!
Can You Bake a From a Cake Mix?
The question you need to ask yourself is can you bake a cake using a cake mix? If the answer is yes, then you can make these cookies and cream red velvet molten lava cakes. That’s all it really is. Make a cake mix, stuff some cookies and cream chocolate in it, zap it and eat! It’s really that easy!
What is Red Velvet?
Red velvet cake is believed to have originated during the Victorian Era. The term “velvet” was used to let people know that the cake was a soft and velvety crumb cake. Devil’s food cake also originated during the same time. Devil’s food cake uses chocolate and red velvet cake uses cocoa. The red tint originally came from the non-Dutched cocoa used to make the cake. Now red food dye is added to enhance the red color.
Can Molten Lava Cakes Be Made in Advance?
This style of molten lava cake can be made in advance. The cakes can be baked, cooled, and stuffed with the chocolate up to a day or two ahead of time. Just be sure to store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve them, pop them into the microwave for about 30 seconds to reheat the cakes and melt the cookies and cream chocolate. Top with a scoop of ice cream and some chocolate sauce and dive on in!
Can You Freeze Molten Lava Cake?
You can freeze these cakes in a freezer bag for up to 3 weeks. They should be frozen with the cake baked, stuffed with the unmelted cookies and cream chocolate, and topped with the cake “lid”. When you are ready to eat them, let them come to room temperature and then warm them up in the microwave.
Needed: More Lava
If you find yourself in need of more lava in your molten lava cake (like I always do), you can melt the chocolate in a bowl, pour it into the cake and top with the lid after the whole cake has been reheated. Proceed with the ice cream as normal. It’s impossible to have too much lava!
I said this is the best dessert ever and it really is! Warm red velvet cake, hot white chocolate lava with crunchy cookie bits, cold ice cream, and chocolate sauce…it is everything a dessert should be!! It just screams LOVE!! Happy Valentine’s Day (or Happy Wednesday!) friends!!
Valentine’s Day RECIPES
Looking for more Valentine’s recipes to share with the ones you love?
- 5 Minute Valentine’s Snack Mix
- Nutella Stuffed Strawberry Chocolate Cupcakes
- Strawberry Pink Ombre Cake
- White Chocolate Cheesecake Bars with Raspberry Sauce
- No-Bake Mini Cheesecakes with Raspberry Sauce
- Red Velvet Churros
- Copycat Lofthouse Sugar Cookie
- No Bake Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookie Pie
- Chocolate Rose Red Velvet Cupcake
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Cookies and Cream Red Velvet Molten Lava Cakes
- 1 Cake Mix Red Velvet
- 3 Eggs Large
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Candy Bars Large, Cookies and Cream
- Ice Cream
- Chocolate and White Chocolate Sauce
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry cake mix, eggs, sour cream, milk and oil.
- Spray a large Cupcake pan with nonstick spray and evenly distribute batter 3/4 way full. Bake according to package directions.
- Turn the cakes out onto their tops creating a “volcano” and allow to cool.
- Using a pairing or serrated knife, gently cut a hole out of the center without going clear to the bottom.
- Fill the hole with pieces of the cookies and cream chocolate bar. Stuff as much as you can inside of the cakes without breaking the cakes, and then slice off the bottom circle of the piece of cake you removed and place it on the hot fudge hole like a lid.
- Store the cakes in a sealed container in the fridge until ready to eat. Reheat in the microwave until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Top with ice cream and sauces.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.