Chicken stroganoff in a creamy mushroom and herb sauce served over mashed potatoes or pasta is a perfect, tasty, family meal!
If you are a traditional beef stroganoff fan, then you are going to love this chicken breast version! Chunks of juicy golden seared chicken smothered in a savory mushroom gravy is pure comfort food.
And if you are looking for another easy budget friendly stroganoff, try our ground beef stroganoff!
What Ingredients Do I Need for Chicken Stroganoff?
If chicken stroganoff is on the menu this week, as it should be, then this what you will need at the grocery store:
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Yellow Onion
- Mushrooms (baby bella or cremini)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Dijon Mustard
- Parsley Flakes (dried)
- Thyme (fresh)
- Chicken Broth
- Sour Cream
- Mashed Potatoes
The measurements for each ingredient are in the recipe card down below.
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff
- Sear the chicken: combine the garlic powder, paprika, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and dredge the chicken pieces in it. Brown each piece in a skillet and set them aside.
- Saute the onions and mushrooms: add butter to the empty skillet and add the onions and mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Make the sauce: stir in the mustard, worcestershire sauce, herbs and garlic and cook for a minute, then add the broth.
- Simmer: add the chicken to sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the sour cream and let it cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
PRO TIP: When you add in the chicken broth, be sure to scrape up all the little brown bits from the pan leftover from browning the chicken. This is going to give you loads of flavor!
Do You Eat Stroganoff Over Pasta or Rice?
What is a Good Side Dish with Stroganoff?
A green vegetable such as steamed green beans, sautéed broccoli or a crisp salad goes well with stroganoff.
Are Mushrooms Healthy?
Mushrooms are low fat, low calorie and packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. And let’s just talk about the flavor!! Soooooo delish!
Can Chicken Thighs Be Used?
You can totally use chicken thighs if you want! Chicken thighs have tons of flavor! Cooking time and technique won’t change. You’ll probably want 3-4 thighs depending on their size.
What is the Best Type of Mushroom?
We prefer cremini or baby bella mushrooms in most dishes. They have a great umami flavor and add beautiful color to this dish as well. White mushrooms will work too, but are sort of boring…haha!
How to Store Chicken Stroganoff
You can store chicken stroganoff in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last 3-4 days. To reheat it, I prefer to use the stove top. If you have time to warm it up low and slow, the chicken won’t get overcooked and rubbery.
When the day calls for comfort food (and I feel like a lot of days do), fill your plates with some mashed ‘taters and drown them in this creamy chicken stroganoff! Your belly will thank you!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken with Lemon Cream Sauce
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Honey Lemon Basil Grilled Chicken
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Creamy Herb Chicken
- Italian Chicken
- Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chicken Milanese
- All Chicken Recipes!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff
- 2 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Onion yellow, minced fine
- 7 oz Mushrooms baby bella or cremini, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Parsley Flakes dried
- 1 teaspoon Thyme fresh, (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced fine
- 2/3 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Mashed Potatoes or Fettucini pasta or egg noodles for serving
- In a bowl, combine the garlic powder, paprika, flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir to combine.
- Add the chicken a few pieces at a time and toss to coat, setting the floured chicken aside on a plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken in small batches to brown each piece, about 3-4 minutes each batch.
- Add a little more oil as needed, set aside on a plate.
- Add the butter to the now empty pan and add the onions and mushrooms. Saute for 6-8 minutes or until tender and the mushrooms are browning.
- Add the chicken into the pan and bring to a simmer for 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and cook for another 30-60 seconds and remove from the heat. Season to taste and serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.