Our easy Ground Beef Stroganoff features flavorful ground beef, rich mushrooms, a silky cream sauce and a dollop of sour cream! It’s a family favorite recipe!
Ground Beef Stroganoff is one our go-to family meals for when you just don’t want to think. Is anyone else feeling like they’ve made 5 billion meals in 2020? Every day everyone wanted to eat, and not just eat, but 3 meals a day!
AND!! I’m a food blogger!! This is my job! But my goodness, someone feed these people!
Fine, I’ll do it. But I’m making Homemade Beef Stroganoff again as it’s ready in LESS THAN 25 MINUTES!
Ground Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Despite how luxurious the beef stroganoff sauce tastes, it’s actually made with everyday ingredients you have in your pantry! Here’s what you’ll need to make this ground beef dinner recipe:
- Ground Beef
- Sour Cream
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Worcestershire Sauce
How to Make Ground Beef Stroganoff From Scratch
You are going to love me when you see how easy this beef stroganoff recipe is! It’s ready in as much time as it takes to boil noodles!
- Brown the onions and garlic along with the seasonings.
- Start your egg noodles cooking.
- Add mushrooms to caramelize.
- Pour in the wet ingredients to make the sauce. Simmer a few minutes to thicken.
- Serve over egg noodles in a large pan and add the sour cream, stirring to combine.
What to Serve with Stroganoff
I often get asked what goes under the hamburger stroganoff ground beef gravy. You can eat stroganoff over rice, noodles, or cabbage. In fact, I’ve even seen it eaten over mashed potatoes! Hello, that would be so yum!
What Goes With Beef Stroganoff?
We like to serve our stroganoff recipe with wide egg noodles and a simple salad recipe on the side to keep things a little more light. You could also pair this creamy beef stroganoff with simple roasted veggies. I don’t love a heavy dish with heavy sides.
How Long Does Homemade Beef Stroganoff Last?
Covered and refrigerated, ground beef stroganoff will keep for 3-4 days. And yes, yes I do make enough for two nights and either store or freeze it and make fresh noodles for serving.
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
Yes, beef stroganoff freezes pretty darn well! If you make it, do not add the sour cream or the noodles if you can avoid it!
Here’s how to freeze the stroganoff:
- Cool completely and place in a freezer bag.
- You can freeze stroganoff for up to 3 months.
What Can You Substitute For Cremini Mushrooms?
Lots of tender mushrooms add tons of flavor to stroganoff, and while I most often use cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms are a great addition as well.
Tips for Making the Best Beef Stroganoff
- Cremini mushrooms: These are often called “baby bella mushrooms”. That might come in a little handy when hunting these mushrooms down in the grocery store.
- Ground beef: After browning the ground beef, be sure to drain off any excess grease that’s left in the pan. You don’t want there to be too much fat in the stroganoff sauce!
- Worcestershire sauce: If you don’t have any on hand…buy it! There’s just two tablespoons in this recipe, but I promise it makes a difference. Worcestershire sauce adds incredible umami flavor to this creamy ground beef stroganoff!
Want More Ground Beef Recipes?
Start with our Entire Ground Beef Recipe Index
- Family Ground Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Rice and Ground Beef
- Quick and Easy Dinner Ground Beef Casserole
- Beef Burrito Bowls
- One Skillet Ground Beef Enchiladas
- The Best Sloppy Joes
- Hamburger Helper
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onion , chopped
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 8 oz. Cremini Mushrooms , sliced
- 1 1/4 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Fresh Parsley , for garnish
- 16 oz Egg Noodles , for serving
- Bring a pot of water to boil and begin to cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef along with the onions, garlic and spices until thoroughly cooked
- Drain ground beef to remove excess grease from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Put pan back on stove over medium heat
- Add butter to pan, along with the mushrooms, cooking until browned. Then add flour and whisk and let it absorb butter.
- Add beef broth and worcestershire and whisk vigorously to remove any lumps, turning the heat up to high, bringing it to a boil for 2-3 minutes until you see it thicken slightly.
- Bring temperature down to medium and whisk in sour cream and season to taste.
- If it gets too thick, just add a tad more beef broth.
- Add ground beef back to mixture until reheated. Serve over egg noodles.