This Jello Cake Recipe is adapted from the original Lemon Jello Cake we have on our site. The fluffy lemon frosting on top takes the cake to a whole new level.
Here’s why I still love a good jello cake recipe.
- Kids can make it
- You can change the flavors to anything you want.
- No frosting needed, but if you do it’s awesome too.
How to Make Jello Cake
- Add the cake mix and dry jello powder together then add remaining cake ingredients.
- Grease and flour a 9×13″ pan and add the batter.
- While baking, whisk together the glaze.
- Remove cake from oven and prick all over then pour the glaze all over the top and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cool, fold together the frosting and frost the cake.
Why Is My Cake Dry?
Many cakes do not have a good fat to flour ratio or were over baked.
How to fix a dry cake?
If you’re looking for a quick and easy fix try a jello cake which has a glaze that seeps in and keeps the cake moist.
Why Does Cake Fall In The Middle?
I cannot roll my eyes any bigger when a cake falls in the middle. UGH.
- Cake usually sink when the cake has been undercooked.
- Over beating the batter and incorporating too much air can cause a collapse.
- Temperature of the oven is too high for proper baking causing the cake to rise too rapidly.
How Long Will Cake Keep?
Cake will last about a week before starting to go stale on you.
Oil-based cakes tend to keep a day or two longer than butter-based ones.
If you place a cake in the refrigerator you’ll get an additional 2-3 days.
How to Store Cake
This is how to store an unfrosted cake which is different than a frosted cake.
Wrap the cake pan tightly in plastic wrap. Store the wrapped cake on the counter at room temperature.
Does Jello Cake Need to be Refrigerated?
Because jello cake is usually unfrosted it doesn’t need to be placed in the refrigerator.
However, because this lemon jello cake has a whipped cream frosting you’ll want to store it in the fridge so the frosting doesn’t weep.
Can Cake Be Frozen?
Cake responds so well to being frozen. Just make sure that you wrap it really well first.
You can freeze cake for 4-5 months but it tastes best if you take it out by 3 months.
A jello cake has so much moisture you can only freeze it for a week or so and then it needs to be eaten so that it doesn’t fill with ice crystals.
How Do You Zest A Lemon?
To zest a lemon you’ll want to invest in a cheap but crazy effective Microplane.
In one hand hold the lemon and in the other the microplane. A microplane makes shallow cuts that takes only the zest and not the pith off of the lemon. You merely work the lemon over the tool, turning it as you go.
What Is The Easiest Way To Juice a Lemon?
To easily juice a lemon, roll it back and forth on the counter with the palm of your hand pressing down hard so it’s easier to squeeze the juice out.
Then, cut the lemon in half lengthwise with a knife. To prevent the seeds from falling into your lemon juice, place a small mesh strainer over the bowl or glass you’re going to use. I pretty much never juice without mine. It’s just way better than chasing seeds.
Can You Use Bottled Lemon Juice Instead Of Fresh Squeezed?
I don’t really like to use bottled lemon juice ever, but if I’m in a pinch I’ll use just a little less than the recipe calls for as bottled juice can have a bit more power to it and even leave a small bitter aftertaste.
Are jello recipes still a thing? I mean, when I was growing up it was all about the J-E-L-L-O, but times are different now.
Jell-o was my thing as a kid. I can’t stand to write it that way though.
- Jello Cake
- Pineapple Jello Cake
- Raspberry Jello
- Lemon Orange Jello Salad
- Lemon Strawberry Jello Cake
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Raspberry Fluff
- Jello Peach Pie
- 1 Lemon Cake Mix
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 4 Eggs, Large
- 1 1/3 Cup Water
- 2/3 Cup Oil
- 1 3 oz. box Lemon Jello, powder
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Container Cool Whip, 8 ounce
- 1 Container Lemon Frosting
For The Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cake pan with nonstick spray and sprinkle with flour.Tip and tap the edges of the cake pan to coat it with flour.
- In the bowl of a mixer, mix the cake mix, lemon zest, eggs, water, oil and jello powder together.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes. While cake bakes, prepare icing, (See instructions below)
- When cake is done and still warm, prick with 2 tined fork.
- Immediately pour lemon glaze over the top.
- Once completely cooled, top with frosting.
For The Icing
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, zest and powdered sugar until smooth.
For The Frosting
- In a bowl, fold together the frosting and cool whip with a rubber spatula, set aside.