How To Smoke A Chicken
This recipe is all Cade, so I’ll let him take over…
I was feeling like some warm fall flavors so I decided to take out the old allspice and cloves for this smoking event. I can’t recall ever using the cloves or allspice for any of my meats. I can say with confidence now that I will be using it again. The combination of these flavors did bring out that warm fall taste that I was looking for. There is not much to the instructions. We have an awesome Master Built Electric Smoker, so it comes with all the goodies that you will ever need to have fun smoking your food. In the dripping pan I put two cups of apple juice, I was tempted to try orange but went with my ol’ reliable. I also used 1 cup of apple wood for smoking to bring out the sweetness of this dish. You are welcome to use any type of wood or juice you want and please let me know how it turns out, I can’t wait to try more variations of this. This chicken was 3 1/2 lbs, so I cooked it for 3 and 1/2 hours, approximately 1 hour for every pound or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. The chicken was one of the best I have ever had, not just in flavor but it was so moist even for second and third day leftovers! I hope you have fun and enjoy smoking your food as much as I do!
How To Smoke A Chicken
How to Smoke a Chicken
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Whole Chicken 3-4 lbs
- 2 Cups of Apple Juice
- 1 Cup Apple Wood Chips
- Rinse the bird, remove the giblets if there are any and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, add each of the seasoning ingredients and stir to evenly combine. Evenly coat the entire bird with the seasoning mixture.
- Heat the electric smoker to 215-230 degrees, and once the temperature is met, add the wood chips.
- Pour the apple juice into the drippings pan, put it on the lower rack and then place the bird on the rack above it. You only want to open the smoker once, so have the bird and drippings pan ready to go.
- Smoke the bird for 1 hour for every pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees.
- Remove the bird to a cutting board and let rest for 6-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Carve up and enjoy!
*If you are using a bbq, just place the wood chips in a tin pan (you should soak the chips for 30-60 minutes first), and heat the grill to low-medium heat (you can place a thermometer in the grill to achieve the correct temp. ) Then just place a pan of apple juice in there too. Smoke as above.
Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 383 Calories
- Total Fat: 23.4g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Carbohydrates: 13.1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 9.9g
- Protein: 28.9g
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.