Yes, you can make hard boiled eggs in the instant pot and yes, it’s super easy! I’ll tell you all of the tips, tricks and how to make instant pot hard boiled eggs!
I grew up making Deviled Eggs, one of the first recipes that I had ever conquered entirely on my own, so I feel like a crazy hard boiled egg expert.
Or, maybe not crazy, but definitely an expert.
So, without further gabbing, let’s chat about all of the frequently asked questions about hard boiled eggs so you can start off on the right foot!
How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- Add water to Instant Pot. Place metal trivet into the pot. Gently add eggs on top of the trivet.
- Set Instant Pot to “Manual“, select high pressure, and set timer to 6-7 minutes. Do a quick pressure release when cooking is complete.
- Move eggs to a bowl of ice water for at least an hour. Drain and peel.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
We have a few tips to help you along your way to the perfect hard boiled eggs:
- Be sure to use 6-8qt Instant Pot
- Brown eggs peel better than white eggs
- The eggs can touch each other in the Instant Pot but make sure they do not touch the sides of the Instant Pot itself. There will be a brown spot on the egg when it is peeled if its touches.
Can You Overcook A Hard Boiled Egg?
Hard boiled eggs can definitely be overcooked. I’m sure you’ve all seen an overcooked egg. The yolk has a dark green color around it and the egg white is rubbery.
Is It Safe To Eat An Overcooked Hard Boiled Egg?
While they aren’t at all appetizing to look at, it is totally fine to eat an overcooked hard boiled egg.
How Long Will Hard Boiled Eggs Keep?
You can store hard boiled eggs either peeled or unpeeled in the refrigerator and they will be great for up to 1 week after they’ve been cooked.
How Many Eggs Can You Hard Boil in Instant Pot?
If you are using an 6-8qt Instant Pot, you can cook anywhere from 2 to 12 eggs at a time.
Why Did My Eggs Explode in the Instant Pot?
There are several reasons that eggs could explode in the Instant Pot, but they are all easily avoidable if you follow the instructions listed in the recipe card. Here are some possible reasons:
- Forget to add water to the Instant Pot
- Not using a trivet and placing the eggs directly on the Instant Pot surface
- Cooking the eggs for too long
- Using a natural release rather than the quick release
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can follow our recipe for making hard boiled eggs on the stove top. If you do have an Instant Pot, than this Instant Pot hard boiled egg recipe is going to be a game changer for you! I can taste deviled eggs with a side of egg salad sandwich in my future already!
Special Oh Sweet Basil bonus: Instant Pot Cheat Sheet
More Recipes that Use Hard Boiled Eggs:
- Deviled Eggs
- Harvest Cobb Broccoli Salad
- Pea Salad
- Pea Pasta Salad
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Roasted Potato Salad
- 7 Layer Pea Salad
- Asparagus Avocado Salad
- Dill Potato Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad Wrap
- Cobb Salad
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 6-12 Eggs
- Add water to a 6-8qt Instant Pot. Place metal trivet into the pot. Gently add eggs on top of the trivet.
- Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 6-7 minutes.* When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Cool eggs in a bowl of ice water for 1 hour. Drain well and peel.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.