This Mango Chiffon Pie was so sparkly. It may not make much sense, but try it and you will see what I mean. It just tastes so fresh and sparkly! Give it a go and I know you will love it for summer.
What Is Baker’s Sugar?
Baker’s sugar is a finely-ground type of sugar.
Bakers like to use it because it dissolves more easily into recipes.
Baker’s sugar is not confectioner’s, or powdered sugar.
Baker’s sugar is still granular, just a finer texture than regular granulated sugar.
Is Chiffon the Same As Pudding?
A chiffon pie is a type of pie that consists of a special type of airy filling in a crust.
The filling is typically produced by folding meringue into a mixture resembling fruit curd, most commonly lemon, that has been thickened with unflavored gelatin to provide a light, airy texture.
Chiffon is different than pudding.
Pudding consists of sugar, milk, and a thickening agent such as cornstarch, gelatin, eggs, rice or tapioca to create a sweet, creamy dessert.
How Long Will A Chiffon Pie Keep?
Chiffon pie will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Chiffon pie can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Mango Chiffon Pie
Recipe Adapted from Tasty Kitchen
- 1 Cup Mango cubed
- 1 Tablespoon Water plus 1/4 Cup for Gelatin
- 1 Envelope unflavored Gelatin 1/4 oz
- 1/2 Cup strained fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Lemon Zested
- 1/3 Cup Bakers Sugar plus 1/2 Cup divided
- 4 Whole Eggs Divided
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 prepared pie crust
- Puree the 1 tablespoon water and mango until smooth. (Your yield will be 1/2 cup) Set aside.
- In a saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the remaining 1/4 cup water. Let set 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the mango puree, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks. Place over medium heat and stir constantly until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let it simmer! Remove from heat and transfer to a glass bowl. Place in the fridge for 45 min or until beginning to set. Whisk Smooth.
- In a separate dish, beat the egg whites until foamy and then add the cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1/2 Cup bakers sugar and beat until glossy, stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the mango. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Place in baked pie shell and into the fridge to set for 4 hours.