Marinated grilled chicken breasts is that quintessential summer recipe that everyone needs. The marinade packs in flavor and makes the most tender chicken. Grilling it adds the smoky flavor that you want all summer long!
We all know that I was the most picky eater and blah, blah, blah…but chicken was my go to. I usually went with the roasted whole chicken, but I would have definitely been all over this marinated grilled chicken recipe!
The sweet lemon-y marinade creates the most juicy and flavorful chicken! Sometimes chicken breasts can be a little dry and boring. Not with this marinade! No, ma’am! This will take your average chicken dinner up to the next level.
What Ingredients are Needed for Marinated Grilled Chicken?
A chicken marinade isn’t just made willy nilly. Every ingredient has a purpose and plays a role in making a juicy and bold bite. See the recipe card below for the measurements. These are the ingredients you will need:
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Garlic Powder
- Dijon Mustard
- Dean Jacob’s 4 Spice Variety Pack Tuscany Blend (see section below)
The honey and brown sugar give sweetness and a crusty outer layer when grilled. The soy sauce provides a salty depth of flavor, and the lemon, mustard and garlic lock in that bold flavor you want in a marinade. Dean Jacob’s spice pack is the icing on the cake!
How to Make Marinated Grilled Chicken
The recipe card below lists detailed instructions for making this recipe, but here are the basic steps for now:
We like to combine all the marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. The kids love squishing all the ingredients together.
Once the ingredients are well mixed, add the chicken in the bag and let it marinate.
Heat the grill to high
Add the chicken.
Reduce the heat on the grill to medium.
Grill the chicken for 4-6 minutes per side.
Remove the chicken to a cutting board and tent with foil for 5 minutes.
Slice and serve.
Ok, I totally know that having a specific spice pack to track down at the grocery store can be a bit of a hassle. I’ve found it every time at Walmart, but if you can’t find the Dean Jacob’s 4 Spice Variety Pack Tuscany Blend, here are a few options:
- Amazon…cue the angels singing! (link above)
- Make your own – 1/4 cup Italian Seasoning, 1 Tablespoon minced dry sun dried tomatoes, 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Use Kinder’s Buttery Steakhouse Blend (I buy it as Costco but they have it Walmart and other grocery stores too)
- Use McCormick’s Greek Seasoning
How Long Should Chicken Be Marinated?
Marinating chicken for as little as 30 minutes can make a huge difference in texture and flavor. I don’t like to marinate chicken for any longer than 12 hours. If you go for longer, it starts to toughen the meat.
Is It Safe To Reheat Grilled Chicken?
Grilled chicken can be reheated in the oven.
Heat oven to 250 degrees, wrap chicken in foil and place in oven until warmed through.
Why Do You Marinate Meat?
Marinating enhances the flavor and tenderizes the meat.
Are Chicken Breasts Healthier Than Thighs?
Breast are lower in fat than thighs. They are about the same for calories. This marinade is also delicious on chicken thighs, so feel free to use either cut!
Can You Freeze Grilled Chicken?
Grilled Chicken breasts can be frozen for about a month. If I end up with leftover chicken, I like to slice it and then freeze it. It is perfect for a wrap at lunch or to top a salad!
What to Eat with Grilled Chicken Breasts?
You have your chicken marinating in the fridge, but what should you eat with it? Let me share a few of our favorite side dishes:
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Baked potatoes with crispy skin
- Marinated tomato salad
- Potato Salad
- Herb Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Focaccia Bread
- Green Beans and Potatoes
If none of those strike your fancy, then head to our all our side dish recipes and find one that does! This chicken is so versatile, it goes with just about anything!
Marinated grilled chicken breasts are a healthy, sensible dinner that are so moist and flavorful! You’ll be making this all summer long! I’m heading out to fire up the grill now!
More Marinated Chicken Dishes You’re Sure to Love:
- Asian Ginger Marinated for Grilled Chicken
- Greek Marinade Chicken Souvlaki
- Marinated Smoked Chicken Thighs
- Huli Huli Grilled Chicken
- Honey Lemon Basil Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken
- Balsamic Caprese Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled Chicken with Oregano
- All our grilled recipes here!
Marinated Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Lemon, Juiced
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Teaspoons Dean Jacob's 4 Spice Variety Pack Tuscany Blend, see note
For the Marinade
- In a large ziplock bag, add the marinade ingredients. Seal the bag and squish to combine the ingredients.
- Open the bag and carefully drop in the chicken.
- Allow to marinate in the fridge for 1-12 hours.
- Heat grill to high and add the chicken.
- Turn grill down to medium and grill chicken for 4-6 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and tent with foil for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
- You can buy it off of amazon as I have linked it above.
- Create your own with 1/4 cup Italian Seasoning, 1 tablespoon finely minced dry dun dried tomatoes and 1 teaspoon dried basil.
- Use Kinders Buttery Steakhouse Blend from Costco (or wherever else you find it)
- Use Greek Seasoning from Mccormick
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.