This is a Southern recipe with an electric pressure cooker twist! These Green Beans and Potatoes in the Instant Pot are so flavorful and tender, and there’s bacon on top!
Easy Instant Pot Side Dish
You read that right — these green beans and potatoes are topped with BACON! It all starts by sautéing the bacon and ends by mixing the bacon into the dish. Bacon is just SO GOOD, and it really takes these soulful Instant Pot green beans and potatoes to the next level.
So basically, we are taking one delicious side dish, combining it with another delicious side dish, and adding bacon. You just can’t go wrong! Then it’s all cooked in just a few minutes in the Instant Pot! Winning!
Green Beans and Potatoes
Green beans and potatoes would make a great side dish for any holiday dinner you have coming up. And I’m telling you, that bacon just reels people in. It’s irresistible! It complements the green beans and potatoes perfectly.
These pressure cooker green beans and potatoes also could be made just for a simple weeknight meal. Our kids love this dish, and it’s a great way to get some veggies in their bellies. It pairs perfectly with our Bottom of the Jar Chicken, Cornflake Ranch Chicken, or even our Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs.
Instant Pot Green Beans and Potatoes Ingredients
To make Instant Pot green beans with bacon and potatoes, you’ll need the following:
- Red onion
- Green beans
- Chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
Which Green Beans Should I Buy?
There are a lot of different kinds of green beans. Not all green beans are created equal! You want to buy haricot vert green beans. Pardon my French there! It is actually French for the long, slender green beans you can find in your produce section.
It is pronounced “heir covair,” not “harry cot vert.” Although I like to say “harry cot vert” in my brain because it sounds so dang funny! Say “heir covair” in your best French accent and you’ll be impressing all your dinner guests!
Haricot vert are thinner than green beans native to the U.S.A. and are picked at an earlier point in their growth, making them more flavorful.
Which Potatoes Should I Buy?
When all is said and done, really any potato would get the job done here, but Yukon Gold potatoes are our favorite for this dish. They are smooth and soak in that yummy bacon flavor so well! They also have a very light and flaky skin, which means you don’t have to peel them. If you don’t have Yukon Gold in the house, here is our ranking of which potatoes to use:
- Yukon Gold — golden flesh inside, waxy, buttery flavor, best for boiling, steaming, and frying
- Red — thin red skin, waxy, best for boiling, steaming or simmering in a soup
- New —tender, waxy, thin yellow or red skin, best for boiling, baking, frying or roasting
- Fingerlings — finger shaped, come in a variety of colors, best for roasting whole or halved
- Russet — aka Idaho potatoes, starchy, best for baking, mashing or frying
How to Make Green Beans and Potatoes
You are just minutes away from Instant Pot Green Beans and Potatoes! Put your Instant Pot in “sauté” mode for 20 minutes. When it is hot, add the bacon and cook until it is crispy. Remove it to a paper towel to add later and leave that bacon grease in there to flavor the rest of the dish. Sauté the onions and garlic until they are tender, and then add the potatoes with the cut side down. Cook until golden (add a little olive oil if needed), and then add the butter.
Throw in the green beans and stir everything to combine. Your last ingredient to add in is the chicken broth. Now your ready to cook! Set the Instant Pot to “manual,” high pressure for 6 minutes. When it is done, allow for a natural release, then open the lid and season with salt and pepper. Stir in that crispy bacon you sauteed at the beginning and sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley on top. Bon appetit on those potatoes and haricot verts!!
Read more: Go check out our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet for a simplified way to the make all your basics in the Instant Pot!
Can You Cook Just Green Beans in the Instant Pot?
Yes, green beans can be cooked by themselves in the Instant Pot in as little as 2 minutes. Place your steamer rack in the Instant Pot, place your green beans in the pot, close the lid and cook on low pressure for 1-2 minutes. After a quick release, you have green beans ready to consume!
Can I Double This Recipe?
If your Instant Pot is large enough to hold double the amount of ingredients, then yes! You shouldn’t need to alter the cook time at all since you’re using a pressure cooker.
What Type of Bacon Should I Use?
You’re welcome to use whatever your favorite type of bacon is. We prefer cooking with traditional pork bacon, but if you try an alternative like turkey bacon please leave us a comment below letting us know how it turned out!
Tips for Making Green Beans and Potatoes
If you’ve yet to purchase an Instant Pot, we recommend using this model. It’s the one we use at home and we love it!
A few readers have asked if they can scale back the amount of green beans used in this recipe, but I wouldn’t recommend doing that. We’ve found this to be the best green bean to bacon ratio and it tastes amazing every time!
If you wind up with leftovers, gently reheat the green beans and potatoes in the microwave or in a skillet.
More INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- Cuban Pasta Salad
- Instant Pot Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- 2-Ingredient Instant Pot Applesauce
- Award Winning Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- ALL OF OUR INSTANT POT RECIPES!
More EASY SOUTHERN RECIPES:
- Easy Macaroni and Cheese (Southern-Style)
- Easy Baked Beans Recipe
- Southern Sausage Breakfast Cake
- Cheesy Southern Grits
- Southern Grape Salad with Pecans
- Southern English Pea Salad
- Southern Tomato Basil Pie
- Instant Pot Short Ribs with Carolina BBQ Sauce
Instant Pot Green Beans and Potatoes
- 8 Slices Bacon, , chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion, , chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, , minced
- 6-8 Potatoes, Small Yukon Gold , halved
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Pounds Haricot Verts , Fresh , trimmed (or Green Beans)
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper , , to taste
- Fresh Parsley, , chopped
- Press Saute and 20 minutes on your Instant Pot. Once hot, add the bacon and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally as needed. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate, leaving the grease.
- Place the onions and garlic in and sauté until tender.
- Add the potatoes, cut side down and cook until golden, adding a drizzle of olive oil if needed.
- Add the butter.
- Throw in the green beans and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and set it to manual, high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Allow a natural release and then open the lid, season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the bacon.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley all over the top right before serving.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.