This chocolate zucchini cake is so moist and chocolatey you won’t believe it is made with zucchini. And, the frosting is chocolate cream cheese perfection!
This cake is my answer for all the zucchini squash sitting on my counter! It is the most moist and rich cake, and adding zucchini to it makes it pretty much healthy, right?
Ok, not at all, but it sure is a good excuse for eating multiple pieces. Shhhhh…don’t judge!
I keep seeing people post about all their excess zucchinis in our neighborhood Facebook group. It needs to be put into this cake or our chocolate chip zucchini banana bread. Or if you are craving savory, try our BBQ zucchini nachos or our Mexican zucchini boats! Zucchini is so versatile!
(Mom, you are seriously the cutest and please oh please let my hair turn out like your’s)
This chocolate zucchini snack cake is actually the perfect picture of my life. Well, it’s the perfect picture of how my life goes. I go to Idaho and tell my mom I made the MOST DELICIOUS dark chocolate zucchini bundt cake in the history of the world.
Mom applauds me and gives me all sorts of praise.
Mom makes an even better chocolate zucchini cake and serves it for Sunday dinner and I beg her for the recipe.
I’d get all whomp, whomp on you, but I actually love when she beats me in the kitchen and proves herself to be the true cook in the family. Her food is always the best.
What Ingredients Do You Need for Chocolate Zucchini Cake?
No shocker here, but you need zucchini and cocoa! Mind blown, I know! Then everything else is pretty much your typical cake ingredients. The details are down below in the recipe card, but here is your basic list:
- Brown Sugar
- Canola Oil
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Milk
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Who has ever went to devour a piece of chocolate cake only to find it totally dry and almost inedible? Oh, it’s the worst! You will not have that issue with this dreamboat of a chocolate cake! The recipe card has all the detailed instructions, but here are the basic steps:
- Preheat oven and spray a 9×13 cake pan with cooking spray
- Beat the eggs
- Add the other wet ingredients (oil, sugar, and vanilla) and blend everything together
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon and salt) together in another bowl
- Add the dry ingredients and the grated zucchini to the wet ingredients and mix until it all just comes together
- Bake the cake
- Allow cake to cool completely before adding the frosting
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until creamy
- Add the vanilla
- Sift in powdered sugar and cocoa
- Add the salt
- Mixing on low, add a little milk until it is your desired consistency
Why is Zucchini Added to Desserts?
Zucchini adds moisture to baked goods and keeps cake and breads moist and tender.
Can this Recipe Be Made into a Bundt Cake?
Absolutely! Pour the batter into a well-greased 10 cup bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Can this Recipe Be Made into Cupcakes?
Yes!! I would use cupcake liners and they will bake for about 18-20 minutes. It will make about 20-24 cupcakes.
Do You Peel Zucchini For Cake?
Zucchini does not need to be peeled for cake.
Just wash it, cut the ends off, and grate it. I like to grate it on the smallest grate, and then it isn’t even noticeable in the cake.
This is how I get my kids to eat it without knowing!
Is Zucchini Good for You?
Zucchini is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Zucchini possesses many valuable minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and plenty of potassium.
Can Chocolate Zucchini Cake Be Frozen?
You can freeze chocolate zucchini cake for up to 3 months. It is best to freeze before frosting it and then add the frosting shortly before serving it.
How Long Will Zucchini Cake Keep?
Stored at room temperature, it will keep for 2 days.
Cake will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Can I Make Zucchini Cake Ahead of Time?
This cake is great to make ahead and freeze adding the frosting before serving.
Grate up that zucchini and add it to this chocolate zucchini cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting! The chocolate lovers in your life will love you forever and ever!
More Zucchini Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Perfect Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Snickerdoodle Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Muffins (Gluten Free)
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Mexican Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Sausage Casserole
- Zucchini Corn Casserole
- BBQ Chicken Zucchini Nachos
- Zucchini Pizza Crust
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Canola plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Zucchini grated, doesn't need to be peeled, about 2 zucchini
For The Frosting
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Butter unsalted, softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa unsweetened
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Milk Chocolate milk is a game changer if you have it
For The Cake
- Beat eggs until smooth and lemon in color
- Add the oil sugars, and vanilla.
- Blend well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients and zucchini into the wet ingredients.
- Pour into a 9X13 inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick at 30 minutes, if it comes out clean it is done.
- Allow the cake to cool completely which can take a good 1-3 hours depending on how warm your house is. Then frost the cake and serve.
- Cover leftovers and store for up to 1 week.
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using paddle attachment (or using an electric hand mixer with a large bowl), beat together 8 oz cream cheese with butter on medium/high speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add vanilla.
- Sift in 3 cups powdered sugar with 1/2 cup cocoa powder to ensure there are no lumps then add 1/4 tsp salt. Mix on low speed adding the splash of milk as it comes together. Add an additional tablespoon of milk if needed.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.