Plant based vegan burrito bowls are a healthy and hearty meal that our whole family craves. They are loaded with veggies, black beans, brown rice and quinoa and topped with a simple avocado cilantro dressing.
The best part about this dish, aside from it being delish, is that it’s all done in under 1 hour! It is also colorful and packed full of flavor.
We just finished another week of detox, and it was awesome! It’s always a little rough the first few days (missing those dang carbs gets me every time!), but by the end of the week, we are feeling so good that it’s totally worth it. Part of the detox is eating plant based meals for dinner.
Your Super Foods Discount Code
I’m especially amazed at how many of you joined us for the Your Super 5 day detox! The your super discount code still works: OSB15 and I’m 100% doing this the beginning of every season for the rest of my life. I love that you still eat real food, but man, my parents lost weight, my friends lost weight, all good things but more importantly Mom and Dad have had hardly any rheumatoid arthritis and regular arthritis pain, my knee aches are gone, my munchies are gone, bloating gone, the list goes on!!!
What to Make for Plant Based Meals on a Detox?
Honestly, the first round was the hardest because I was getting used to new plant based dinner ideas. At first you feel like there’s nothing and then the new few times it feels like you have so many ideas. Those smokey sweet potatoes end up on the menu all the time now.
So I wanted to give you all some ideas in case you do it too! Let’s go!
The last time we did this detox, we made our delicious Instant Pot vegetarian chili that you all couldn’t wait to get your hands on. I’m loving the challenge of skipping the meat and creating flavorful plant based recipes! We have several delicious vegan recipes and vegetarian recipes on the blog that you should definitely check out.
Ingredients for Vegan Burrito Bowls
A stop in the produce section of the grocery store will knock out most of this ingredients list. That’s just the way I like it too! So healthy and my body feels so good!
- Sweet Potato
- Red Onion
- Brown Rice
- Black Beans
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
Jump down to the recipe card for all the exact measurements.
How to Make Vegan Burrito Bowls
There are three different parts to this recipe. First, prepping all the veggies, brown rice and quinoa for the burrito bowls. Second, jazzing up the black beans that go into it. And third, making that super delicious avocado cilantro dressing.
- Preheat your oven.
- Season the sweet potatoes, and then roast them with the zucchini and red onion.
- Saute the corn.
- Make the brown rice and quinoa (see sections below).
- Warm the beans on the stove top with the water and seasonings.
- Add the avocado, cilantro, lime juice and a pinch of salt into a blender and blend until smooth.
Once everything is ready, assemble the bowls by adding the rice and quinoa first and then topping with the veggies, black beans, slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, your yummy dressing and a dash of red pepper flakes.
How to Make Brown Rice
Making brown rice is just like making white rice but it takes a little longer to cook. It can be made ahead of time and used as needed.
- 1 Cup Brown Rice
- 2 Cups Water
Combine in a saucepan and heat on the stove over medium high heat until it boils. Then reduce the heat to medium low and let it cook for 45 minutes with a lid.
How to Make Quinoa
Making quinoa is just as easy as making rice and it can also be made ahead of time and used as needed.
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Then reduce to medium low heat and let it cook for 15 minutes uncovered.
Variations for Plant Based Vegan Burrito Bowls
Are Burrito Bowls Healthy?
Burrito bowls, especially vegan burrito bowls are healthy!
They are well-balanced with protein, carbs and healthy fats. If you want to try low carb, replace the rice and quinoa with our cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
Are Black Beans Good For You?
Black beans have no cholesterol and are high in fiber and vitamin B6. Beans are also a great source of protein which is important for a plant based meal.
Are Sweet Potatoes Good For You?
Sweet potatoes are a high source for fiber and contain vitamins and minerals such as iron, and calcium. They’re a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C.
How Do I Store Burrito Bowls?
Why Should I Eat Plant Based Recipes?
I will be the first to say that I love meat and before doing these detoxes, we had meat for dinner most nights. However, after trying to eat healthier and more plant based, we love how we feel. Limiting the meat in your diet also is easier on the budget. When all is said an done, plant based meals are just good for you.
We are feeling so good eating more plant based meals! I think everyone should give it a try. Make these plant based vegan burrito bowls, and you’ll be totally satisfied and you won’t even miss the meat!
More Plant Based Recipes You’ll Crave:
- Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice
- Balsamic Vinaigrette Grilled Vegetables
- Vegetarian Chili
- Grilled Veggies with Pesto
- Corn Avocado Tomato Salad
- Pesto Butter Veggie Foil Packs
- Vegetarian Quinoa Skillet
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Plant Based Vegan Burrito Bowls
- 1 Sweet Potato or yam, large, chopped, peeled if you prefer
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Zucchini sliced
- 1/2 Cup Corn roasted, frozen
- 2 Packets Brown Rice (found at costco or prepare your own brown rice and quinoa, see note)
- 2 Packets Quinoa (found at costco or prepare your own brown rice and quinoa, see note)
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 1 Tomato chopped
- cilantro and red pepper flakes for garnish
For The Black Beans
- 15 oz Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
For The Dressing
- 1 Avocado large
- 1 Handful Cilantro chopped
- 1 1/2 Limes juiced
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a cookie sheet, add the chopped sweet potatoes at one end, zucchini in the opposite corner on the other end and red onions in the other corner.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. In a small dish, mix the salt, pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder and sprinkle over the sweet potatoes, toss to coat.
- At the other end, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the onions and zucchini. I prefer the zucchini spread out evenly and the onions piled up a little. Add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping the veggies the last 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, add the avocado, cilantro, lime juice and a pinch of salt if desired. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, add the black beans, water, and seasonings and cook until warmed through.
- In a small saute pan over medium heat, add the frozen corn and cook through or just run hot water over the corn in a bowl and then drain.
- To assemble, make your rice quinoa mixture, add to a bowl. Top with onions, black beans, sliced avocado, sweet potatoes, zucchini, corn, tomatoes and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes to garnish. Drizzle with your sauce and enjoy!
- Remember, you can easily make this your own with cheese, chickpeas, jalapeños etc. Do whatever you love in a burrito bowl!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.