Looking for a healthy side dish? This Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice is easy to make, has amazing flavor, and is a perfect side dish that your family will love.
I’m trying really, really hard to be a more mindful eater. I hate to admit it but I am really drawn to food for every reason in the book.
I am :
- An emotional eater
- A casual eater
- Social eater
- Meal planner
- Connoisseur of food
- Tired eater
- Healthy eater
- Treats and carb lover
Alright, you get the point. I was talking to my mom who is working hard at living her best, healthiest life. She was a small person her whole life, like me, but being over 60 now, her body has changed a lot. Mom was saying how hard it is to adjust to a body so different than what she’s used to, one that needs far more discipline and less calories etc.
A Warning from Mom
Set good habits that can last a lifetime because your body will change whether you like it or not.
Heard you loud and clear, Mom.
This recipe is for you and every other person in the world who wants to eat dang yummy food and have a fraction of the calories without ever missing a single one.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
I usually just buy pre-riced cauliflower because it is so easy to find and is reasonably priced. If you can’t find cauliflower rice at the store, it is super simple to make it at home.
Food Processor Method: The easiest way to make cauliflower rice at home is to use a food processor. Remove all the leaves and stem and then add the florets to the food processor. Pulse until the cauliflower has broken down into small bits.
Hand Grater Method: If you don’t have a food processor, you can also use a hand grater. Remove the leaves and stem and cut the head of cauliflower into smaller sections. Grate the cauliflower down into smaller bits. It will have a little different texture than using the food processor or buying it at the store, but it will still get the job done well.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice?
The title of this recipe pretty much gives all the ingredients away. Add a couple of seasonings, lemon juice and almonds and you’re all set:
- Sliced Almonds
- Sea Salt
- Parsley (fresh)
- Dill (fresh)
- Basil (fresh)
- Lemon Juice
How Do I Make Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice?
Detailed instructions of how to make this dish are described below in the recipe card, but here is a broad overview:
- If needed, make the cauliflower using a food processor or hand grater (see section above).
- Toast the almond slices.
- Saute the garlic in butter.
- Add the cauliflower rice with salt and pepper.
- When the cauliflower rice is ready, add the fresh herbs, lemon juice and toasted almonds.
What Do I Eat with Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice?
This healthy side dish goes great with just about any protein main dish. We love it along side our easy garlic butter steak, bottom of the jar chicken, slow cooker garlic chicken, or our easy garlic butter salmon.
Can You Use Cauliflower Rice Instead Of Rice In Recipes?
You can use cauliflower rice instead of rice in most recipes.
What Are Herbs?
Herbs are plants with fragrant or aromatic properties that are used to flavor food.
The herb is the green or leafy part of some kind of plant.
Basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and dill are all herbs.
Do Herbs Add Nutrition?
Herbs are actually good for you, and are quite nutritious.
Fresh herbs like oregano, rosemary, parsley, and basil are among the most nutritious greens you can find.
Why Would You Use Cauliflower Rice?
Cauliflower rice is a high-fiber, low-carb alternative to real rice that’s also packed with a number of antioxidants and vitamins.
Cauliflower rice is lower in calories, lower in carbs, and is packed with vitamins C, K and B6, and potassium.
Is Cauliflower Good For You?
Cauliflower is vegetable that is naturally high in fiber and B-vitamins.
It is a good source of antioxidants.
Is Cauliflower Keto?
Cauliflower is a vegetable of choice if you’re on the keto diet.
The plant is low in carbs and can replace potatoes, rice and pasta.
Tips for Making Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice
We love the addition of the toasted almond slices in this dish. Not only does it give the cauliflower rice some crunchy texture, but it also give it a great nutty flavor and some healthy protein.
The addition of parsley, dill and basil is a delicious combination of herbs. We have already posted a cilantro lime cauliflower rice that goes great with Mexican dishes. Feel free to try your favorite herbs in it.
Does Cauliflower Rice Freeze Well?
Uncooked cauliflower rice will keep in the freezer for up to 4-6 months.
How Long Will Cauliflower Rice Keep?
Cauliflower rice will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.
If you’re looking for a side dish that is healthy but still packed with flavor, this garlic herb cauliflower rice checks all the boxes! I’m trying to be more aware of the foods I’m putting into my body and trying to teach my kids the same thing. This is a favorite for our whole family!
Need a main dish? Switch the rice out for this cauli rice in our garlic parmesan chicken recipe.
More Healthy Side Dishes:
- Butternut Squash Kale Salad
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Roasted Garlic Veggies
- Instant Pot Green Beans and Potatoes
- Harvest Cobb Salad
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Grilled Veggies with Pesto
- Elote Grilled Mexican Corn Salad
- Grilled Corn Avocado Tomato Salad
- Lemon Roasted Broccoli
- …All our HEALTHY RECIPES!!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Garlic Herb Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Head Cauliflower Medium, or 16 ounces store-bought cauliflower rice
- 1/2 Cup Almonds sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt fine
- Black Pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 1/4 Cup Parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Dill fresh, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Basil fresh, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or more, to taste
- Using a food processor, cut the head of cauliflower into medium chunks and remove the core. Working in batches, add the cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is broken down into very small bits that resemble rice. Do not do all at once or it will be mush and whole in other parts.
- Add the almonds to a large skillet over medium heat. Stir the almonds around the pan until they are fragrant and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Return the skillet to the burner and add the butter. When the butter is melted and bubbling, stir in the garlic. Cook the garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice, salt, and a few pinches of black pepper. Cook, stirring until the cauliflower rice is crisp-tender and starts to turn light brown in places, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Take the skillet off of the heat, and then stir in the fresh herbs, lemon juice, and toasted almonds.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.