There’s nothing quite like learning how to cook vegetables on the grill. The smoky flavor isn’t the only good thing, grilled veggies are easy and healthy. Try our 15 Minute Grilled Veggies with Pesto!
Summer is in full swing and we are trying to get in as much grilling and fresh fruits and veggies as we can before we are back in the dead of winter. Summer is such a great time to eat healthy, but healthy summer recipes aren’t always easy to find as so many people are chatting about s’mores and backyard BBQ desserts. A healthy side dish recipe doesn’t have to be salad, this 15 minute grilled veggies with pesto recipe hits home every time!
A few weeks ago my little sister and I were chatting about life, food and how much we’ve changed since we were kids. One thing I’ve changed in a lot is my eating habits. I went from crazy picky to lover of all things. Errr, most things at least. Vegetables have become a fast favorite and I think the world is feeling the same, veggies can be awesome!
Grilled vegetables are especially awesome but we may want to go over a few things.
What Vegetables are Good for Grilling?
- Bell Peppers
- Any Pepper really, try our Best Grilled Peppers stuffed with cheese recipe.
- Squash- zucchini, yellow squash etc
- Can You Cook Carrots on the Grill
Ahhh, but can you cook carrots on the grill? Absolutely!! In fact, you absolutely should cook carrots on the grill as they quickly take on a sweet and smoky flavor.
- Can I Cook Zucchini on the Grill
Zucchini is one of our favorite vegetables to cook on the grill because it cooks fast and has a great flavor. Just make sure you don’t slice too thin or it will burn or two thick and the middle may not cook properly. Usually it’s best to cut zucchini 1/4″ thick for the grill.
How to Cook Grilled Veggies
Learning how to cook grilled veggies is one of the first things you should make when you get your first grill.
Fat is essential to most vegetables on the grill so start out by slicing, or chopping if you’re using skewers or a basket on the grill. Next, add whatever oil you prefer, we stick with olive oil most often, as well as seasoning. Grilling is great for keeping things light, and healthy but you still want flavorful so don’t forget the salt and pepper.
Place the veggies directly on the grill or in a basket. This is where things get tricky. Make sure you’re using a basket if your pieces are too small, otherwise lay across the grates and not lengthwise with the grates or your veggies will drop down the holes.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Veggies on the Grill
All different veggies can mean different cooking times. If you’re looking to grill corn on the barbecue check out our post on the secret to the best grilled corn. Otherwise, most veggies take around 5 minutes. Carrots can often take up to 10 minutes because they are a more stiff veggie.
How Long Are Grilled Veggies Good For?
Grilled veggies are not going to last long once they are cooked. Grilled corn can last up to 2 days, while most other veggies aren’t very good even the next day. We like to toss them together with new ingredients if we need to eat them the next day.
Are Grilled Veggies Healthy?
Looking to stay fit and healthy over the summer?
Needing some healthy summer recipes?
Wondering, are grilled veggies healthy?
Grilled veggies are a great way to eat healthy during the summer. Because you’re cooking over a hot flame you’re generally sticking to the basics like olive oil, salt and pepper, or in this case a simple pesto. These ingredients are fresh and not full of fat!
What to Make with Grilled Veggies?
We love grilled veggies piled up in a bowl with rice or quinoa, like our Cilantro Lime Rice Cafe Rio Copycat for example, and some fresh fruit on the side, but if you’re looking to make something with more protein, try these recipes!
- Teriyaki Pina Colada Burger
- Oprah’s Favorite Mar-a-lagos Turkey Burger
- Brazilian Smoked Tri Tip
- Balsamic Flank Steak
- Asian Chicken Skewers with Honey Garlic Sauce
- Honey Mustard Bacon Chicken Skillet
What to Put on Grilled Veggies
Once you’ve grilled your veggies you can leave them simple with just salt and pepper or you can try new things. Some good ideas for what to put on grilled veggies would be…
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- or any seasoning of choice
Can You Make Grilled Veggies Ahead of Time?
Grilled veggies aren’t a good option for making ahead of time as they quickly lose their texture and end up soggy.
Healthy Grilled RECIPES
Looking for more healthy grilled recipes? We always are too, so make sure you try our Grilled Sticky Honey Lime Shrimp, The Best Grilled Peppers, Grilled Avocado Tacos or one of our summer grilled chicken recipes like, Easy Grilled Chicken for Tacos
Or if you are looking for another veggie recipe, try this fried squash!
- Oven Roasted Potatoes, Green Beans & Carrots
- Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Root Veggies
- Pesto Veggie Foil Packets
- One Pan Roasted Lemon Chicken and Veggies
- Sheet Pan Kielbasa
- All SIDE DISHES here!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
15 Minute Grilled Veggies with Pesto
- 2 Zucchini sliced
- 2 Large Carrots sliced on the diagonal
- 2 Yellow Squash sliced
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1 Cup Fresh Pesto click for the link to our favorite recipe
- Heat the grill to high heat.
- Place the pine nuts in a pan over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally until the pine nuts are toasted. Remove to a plate.
- Prepare the veggies and place on a large cookie sheet. Add a drizzle of olive oil all over the veggies, a sprinkle of salt (we prefer Kosher salt for grilling) and a dash of pepper. Toss to coat.
- Add the veggies to the grill being careful to not drop any between the grates.
- Turn the grill to medium heat and cook for 1-2 minutes, and flip.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the grill and place on a large serving platter.
- Drizzle with pesto and pine nuts and extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately