Easy Grilled Steak Burrito Bowls are great for easy meal prep recipes full of corn, quinoa, a killer mango avocado salsa and more!
Can You Freeze Burrito Bowls?
Make your base components — ahead of time, then refrigerate or freeze for pre-layered, ready-to-go burrito bowls you can microwave or reheat on the stovetop.
There’s nothing like a big burrito bowl full of all of your favorites, but often when I see them on social media they are lacking flavor (hello plain chicken) and have odd ingredients that I’m just not going to find at Costco which is one of my favorite places to shop.
Are Burrito Bowls Healthy?
As long as you’re smart about what ingredients you choose, a burrito bowl isn’t too much of a splurge food.
It’s full of lean protein plus vegetables.
Quinoa or Rice
These easy grilled steak burrito bowls start off with quinoa which we actually keep in our freezer as a quick and easy healthy dinner meal prep. We use the same things in this Healthy Sausage Kale Quinoa Skillet recipe. It’s convenient and a healthier choice than plain, white rice, but we have nothing against rice so use whatever you’d like.
Whatever grain or seed you use in your bowl make sure it’s well seasoned. We like to make our Cilantro Lime Rice or Cilantro Lime Quinoa. If you want to just make something plain you could use chicken or vegetable or even beef broth to give it extra oomph.
Why Marinate Flank Steak
The flank steak should be marinated over night if possible but every hour counts so don’t feel bad if you only get it in the fridge an hour before dinner. That is still better than nothing. Truly though, the longer the meat sits in a marinade the more tender, juicy, and flavorful it gets. Taking 5 minutes to make a marinade the day before isn’t being an over thinker, it’s the difference between really good food for less effort and flavorless food being sweated over 30 minutes before dinner.
We like this Carne Asada Tacos or the one we list below. Try both and tell us which you prefer.
Corn isn’t a necessary component of this dish as we all know that corn doesn’t provide much nutrition, but I sure love those pops of sweet and smoky alongside beef. You can grill corn on the cob (especially if you follow our post on the secret to the best grilled corn on the cob), or you can take frozen corn and sauté it with a little oil in a pan, leaving it to sit until it begins to brown on one side.
Mango Avocado Salsa
Mango Avocado salsa is a true favorite for us and avocados are so easy to get your hands on you can choose to do a straight avocado salsa or if it’s summer and mangos are out, go ahead and throw those in as well. It’s just lime juice, red onion, mango, avocado and cilantro. Anyone can do that and there’s no messing it up. You can watch this video on How to Cut a Mango. Or this one on how to cut an avocado.
Or our 5 Minute pineapple chimichurri with cilantro would be really good on top!
Meal Prep Recipe Idea
Meal prep? No problem, just prepare small containers of everything and it all holds up super well! You can eat it as is, or we like to drizzle with a little Cafe Rio Creamy Tomatillo Cilantro Ranch Dressing.
In the end, it really doesn’t matter what extras you decide to throw into your easy grilled steak burrito bowls. Everything can easily be substituted like zucchini instead of corn, jarred salsa instead of avocado and so on. Use what’s in season, use what you have on hand, but make sure you make these burrito bowls as soon as possible!
More Delicious STEAK RECIPES:
- Mexican Steak Marinade (Perfect for Fajitas!)
- Easy Garlic Butter Steak at Home
- Easy Philly Cheesesteak Bread
- Healthy Thai Peanut Steak Salad
- Grilled Flank Steak Summer Salad
- Porterhouse Steak with Mushrooms
- Spicy Steak and Shrimp Kabobs
- Steak Burrito with Grilled Zucchini
- Steak and Brussels Sprouts
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- All our Beef Recipes here!
Easy Grilled Steak Burrito Bowls
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Easy Grilled Steak Burrito Bowls
For the Marinade
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce low sodium
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons White sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 Tablespoon garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced fine
- 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Flank Steak
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 Large Mango peeled and chopped
- 1 Large Avocado peeled and chopped
- 1/3 Cup Red Onion minced
- 1 Cup Tomatoes chopped (we love the small heirloom)
- 1 Jalapeno minced, seeded if you want less spicy
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- For the Steak
- Prepare the marinade by whisking together all of the ingredients and placing in a ziploc bag with the meat.
- Allow to rest in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours, flipping halfway through.
- Minutes before grilling, remove the meat from the fridge to sit on the counter.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Place the meat on and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes per side.
- See notes for a tip!
- Prepare the Bowl
- Grill the corn
- Prepare the quinoa according to the link above.
- Shred the cheese and slice the limes.
- Prepare the dressing
- Avocado Salsa
- Prepare the avocado salsa by whisking together the jalapeno, olive oil, lime juice and cilantro.
- Pour over the avocado, mango, red onion and tomatoes and season with salt to taste. If you make the salsa ahead of time, do not season until serving so as to not create more liquid.
- Serve everything together with the quinoa on the bottom.