The perfect way to get ready for summer, S’mores chocolate chip cookies!! Won’t these be fabulous for both kids and adults? We love these S’mores Cookies!
How is this happening? How are we already talking about summer dessert recipes?! These S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies are totally appropriate all year round, but for me they scream summer break. The chocolate chip cookies are the perfect cookie for a blast of summer dessert.
S’mores cookies are actually a little more tricky to make than you might expect. We’ve tried a few different methods, stuffed, sprinkled on top, chunks of graham crackers and chocolate and while all were fine, none were my favorite.
Stuffed S’mores Cookies
Stuffed all melted together and didn’t really taste like s’mores at all.
Sprinkled on top over cooked the crackers too much and the marshmallows burned or overcooked.
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mixing everything into the dough worked best but the marshmallows melted too much, which is good and tastes kind of caramel-like just like our Empty Tomb Rolls, but that’s not what we were looking for.
Finally we ended up doing a combination of mixing ground graham cracker crumbs and bits into the dough in order to get the flavor, using extra bits of Hershey’s bars along with chocolate chips to get pools of chocolate and sprinkling half of the marshmallows on top of the cookies at the end of baking so you get that sticky mallow flavor and texture.
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
How you mix the cookie dough is also important. Start by mixing the butter and sugars for a couple of minutes in order to make your dough fluffy and chewy in baking.
Chewy chocolate chip cookies also love ingredients that are the same temperature, so get your eggs out as soon as your butter is almost softened enough that way the eggs aren’t cold.
I don’t know about you, but this year has flown by too quickly and I’m determined to live up every moment of summer without the regrets about being too busy. Aren’t kids lucky with how much they take advantage of having fun and laughing? There’s literally nothing holding adults back from finding time to enjoy life, we set our own schedules.
We would love to hear about any special things you do with your family for the summer as we search for our own traditions.
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, very finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 Graham Crackers, broken in small pieces
- 1/3 Cup Hershey's Bar, broken in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner. Just Amazon one to yourself if you don't already have one. Anytime marshmallows are involved a silpat works way better than parchment.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, and salt and then set it aside.
- Next, in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and both sugars; beat on medium-speed for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Do not skip this step. Add in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add in the flour mixture. Turn mixer off and use a wooden spoon to fold in chocolate chips, 1/2 of the marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate pieces.
- Use a scant 1/4 cup amount of dough and roll into a ball, then place on prepared sheet (make sure to leave space between each cookie for inevitable spreading). Continue this process until all the dough has been rolled. Place baking sheets in preheated oven, one at a time, and bake for 8 minutes, open the oven and sprinkle on the remaining marshmallows and bake another 4 minutes or until golden at the edges but still soft in the middle. Let cookies cool for a few minutes before removing.
Golden grahams, chocolate and mini marshmallows to make the best s’mores munchies mixI’ve ever eaten!! And the kids love it too!