Do you remember the Basil Primavera Stuffed White Sweet Potato we talked about last year? Well I was serious when I told you that the white sweet potato is pure awesomeness. You can read that post to find out why it’s a great healthy option, so I wont bore you in this post, but truly you need to start buying this guy. They are so creamy and filling too. Since starting health and fitness posts on Tuesdays I’ve had a huge out pouring of emails asking for more of our favorite healthy recipes that keep us in shape. So here we are. The 4 ingredient stuffed white sweet potato. It’s one of our absolute favorite meals. I know a lot of people love our famous pesto tilapia to lose weight, but sometimes you want something a little more like comfort food.
Everyone has had a baked potato bar or stuffed baked potato. All loaded up with cheese, bacon, maybe chili or pork and it definitely is comfort food, especially in Idaho where baked potato bars actually happen to celebrate the harvest, but they can get a little over the top and unhealthy. I know I load as much junk as I can into mine when I have it. And then there are those trying to be healthy and I watch instagram (make sure you’re following me! – @ohsweetbasil ) get filled with broccoli with a side of chicken. And chicken with a side of broccoli. Ugh, I can’t imagine having the same darn thing all the time.
White sweet potatoes are actually healthier than you may realize, in fact they are like a little secret as most people only buy russets, red potatoes or orange sweet potatoes (yams). They pass right by the white sweet potato without even a second thought. They look just like the normal sweet potato but the are white and healthier! Plus our favorite part, they are really creamy. You don’t need to add any fat at all! So we bake up a few, grill up a little chicken, steam some broccoli or our personal favorite, roast it with a tiny bit of olive oil, throw it all on top of the baked sweet potato and maybe add a pinch of salt and pepper. Then a little low fat mozzarella cheese and it goes under the broiler to get all melty. When we really want to zest things up we might add a drizzle of BBQ sauce. It’s so simple, low on fat and calories but you still get great nutrients! Plus, if you’re in a hurry you can microwave (pierce a few holes in it first) the potato and add ingredients you already cooked the day before! And if you’re still confused about the differences in potatoes Kalyn’s Kitchen does a nice job of explaining and has another healthy and delicious recipe.
Are Yams Different Than Sweet Potatoes?
What we generally refer to as “yams” are in fact sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potatoes come in several varieties including the long, red-skinned variety that many people call yams.
Can Sweet Potatoes Be Microwaved?
Yes sweet potatoes can be microwaved.
Pierce the sweet potato skin 5-6 times.
Place on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 5-8 minutes, rotating halfway through.
Are Sweet Potatoes Good For You?
Sweet potatoes contain high amounts of fiber and potassium.
They have more overall nutrients with fewer calories than regular potatoes.
Sweet potatoes may help maintain a healthy blood pressure and protect against cancer.
4 Ingredient Stuffed White Sweet Potato
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
4 Ingredient Stuffed White Sweet Potato
- 2 White Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Chicken Breast
- Salt and Pepper *see note
- 2 cups Broccoli steamed or roasted
- 1/2 Cup Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- BBQ sauce for drizzle *optional, *see note*
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes 2 or 3 times with a sharp knife, place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until tender when poked through with a fork.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of the chicken and grill in a pan or on an outdoor grill for 5-6 minutes each side.
- Remove to a plate and tent with foil for 5 minutes before shredding.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and carefully slice the top in a straight line, press each end toward the center to push open.
- Fill with shredded chicken, broccoli and top with cheese.
- Turn the oven to broil and place the sweet potatoes back on the baking sheet and in the oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately drizzling a little BBQ sauce if desired.