Utah is obsessed with their sweet pork. For real life obsessed. It all started with the whole Cafe Rio and Costa Vida thing and now every woman I know has her own copycat recipe for sweet pork. But do they have a sweet pork macaroni and cheese recipe?! Booyah!!
Our littlest is in love with sweet pork and the older daughter has been asking for macaroni and cheese for dinner (no clue where that came from) so when we had some sweet pork left over we decided to go ahead and throw both together into one dish and see what happens. Occasionally my mom would let us throw some cut up hot dogs into our macaroni and cheese (which I’m not going to lie, I think I want to try that. Or not. I’ll think about it.) and it was like the coolest ever.
Cade and I were joking around about how we ate as kids, top ramen, macaroni and cheese (kraft of course) with hot dogs and spaghetti o’s for my house and he had similar but add in tuna fish sandwiches. Gag. No tuna fish at my house. Oh gosh, I remember Mom making them when I was really little, the can, the Miracle whip, the whining from me that I didn’t want to eat it. Not happening now that I’m the adult. Cade insists it’s really good to do a tuna melt too, but I’m refusing to listen. bleh.
Now that we’ve had this recipe and it totally rocked I can’t help but want to try more combos and we’d love to hear about your recipes as well!
Mac and Cheese Mania is being sponsored by Door to Door Organics and OXO.
So make sure you head over to two of my personal favorite people’s blogs and link up your favorite recipe, and no need to be a blogger! Just go to Rachel Cooks, and Nutmeg Nanny, link up and get a chance to win!
Prizes up for grabs include Door to Door Organics Gift Cards, OXO Gift Baskets, Zak Designs Prize Pack, a year’s supply of Cabot cheese, a Vermont Creamery gift basket, a risotto kit from Marx Foods, Barilla pasta, Anolon Advanced Bronze 4.5 Qt. Tapered Stockpot, Rachael Ray Stoneware Casseroval, Wusthof CLASSIC Studio Block Set, Microplane Graters and Kitchen Tools, a SavorX Starter Block with spices and Le Cordon Bleu by Swissmar oven to table roasters. All giveaways open to US residents over the age of 18 only.
Can Mac and Cheese Be Made the Day Before?
Macaroni and cheese can be made ahead, put into the baking dish, cooled completely, and kept, covered in the refrigerator, for 2 days.
Is Mac and Cheese Gluten Free?
The noodles in Mac and Cheese are made from wheat.
Therefore, mac and cheese is not gluten free.
Can Mac and Cheese Be Served Cold?
As long as it has been kept refrigerated, mac and cheese is safe to eat cold.
More MACARONI RECIPES You’re Going to Love:
- Instant Pot Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Macaroni and Cheese
- Ham and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- Healthy One Pot Chili Macaroni
- Roasted Red Pepper Macaroni and Cheese
- Easy Southern English Pea Pasta Salad
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- All our PASTA RECIPES here!
Sweet Pork Macaroni and Cheese
Sweet Pork Macaroni and Cheese
- [Sweet Pork Recipe]
- 2 Cups the pork, we use our leftovers
Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz Campanelle Pasta,, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
Bread Crumb Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the butter and melt until beginning to foam.
- Add the flour and quickly whisk for 30 seconds.
- Add the dijon, worcestershire, and hot sauce,(see note) whisk again and add the milk and cream, whisking as you're pouring.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and begin to thicken.
- Turn down to a simmer and add the cheeses.
- Allow to melt and thicken a little more and then season to taste with salt and pepper, which is essential for a good macaroni and cheese.
- Add the pasta and sweet pork, stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat, add the butter, melt completely and add the bread crumbs, stirring occasionally until golden.
- Remove from heat.
- Spray an 8x9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the pasta and pork, and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through and bubbling, allow to rest 5-10 minutes and then serve.