Homemade flour tortillas are easier to make than you think! We have 3 simple secrets that will have you cranking out the most deliciously soft and tender tortillas!
These tortillas are perfect for tacos, burritos, fajitas, and of course, quesadillas! The first thing you are going to want to do once you’ve cooked these tortillas is to make yourself a quesadilla. I know, you’re not 9 years old, but trust me on this, you’ll never want a classic quesadilla more. Check out our best quesadilla post if you find yourself in this boat.
My friend, Shelly, grew up in Mexico and when I heard that she makes the best tortillas I just had to try her recipe.
I’d been testing off and on for years and finally decided that homemade tortillas were just not my fave. I loved the uncooked tortillas you get at Costco and had totally given up.
Now that I’ve tried these, I’ll be whipping up tortillas homemade from now on! Well, I’ll probably keep a pack of the uncooked tortillas from Costco on hand for dinner in a hurry, but homemade tortillas are SO MUCH BETTER!
What Ingredients Do I Need for Homemade Flour Tortillas?
One of my favorite things about these tortillas is that they use normal pantry ingredients. Just 5 simple ingredients is all you are going to need!
- bread flour
- baking powder
That’s it! Can you believe it?! Nothing fancy, just the basics! Now let’s jump in to how to make them…
How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas?
Start by adding the flour (see secret #1 below), salt, baking powder and oil (see secret #2 below) to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the dough hook attachment and turn the speed to low. The mixture will slowly come together. When it looks like slightly wet sand that holds together when you squeeze it, you know that you have the right consistency.
Now it is time to add the water (see secret #3 below). Add the water 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer again on low speed. Keep the mixer on low the whole time you are adding the water. When the dough comes together, let the mixer run for another 2-4 minutes. The dough will look satiny.
Place all of the dough pieces back into your bowl and cover it with a warm, damp paper towel and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes. It can sit on the counter for up to an hour if needed, but don’t go beyond that.
Pro Tip: Resting for at least 15 minutes relaxes the gluten so you can roll them out into smooth discs of deliciousness.
Secret #1 – Flour
Bread flour is a must! It adds the right amount of gluten and allows the dough to be rolled out perfectly thin without tearing.
Secret #2 – Oil
Oil NOT shortening makes for a more elastic and still moist (goodbye dry flour tortillas!) tortilla. You don’t need lard or anything fancy. Just good ol’ vegetables does the trick perfectly!
Secret #3 – Water
Boiling hot water totally changes the texture of the dough. It will be smooth and silky! Your stand mixer will be doing all the work when it still super hot, so you don’t need to worry about handling the dough and burning yourself.
How to Store Homemade Flour Tortillas?
When we are cooking the tortillas, we love our tortilla warmer. We got ours from Winco, but this one is great too. You can cook your tortillas in the afternoon and they are still warm at dinner!
To store extra tortillas that are leftover after dinner, place a paper towel in a ziploc bag, add the tortillas that have cooled to room temperature and then place another paper towel on top before sealing the bag shut.
How to Reheat Homemade Flour Tortillas?
We like to warm our tortillas up in the oven by heating it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and wrapping the tortillas in aluminum foil. They heat up in about 5 or 6 minutes. You can also zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
How Long are Flour Tortillas Good For?
If you leave your tortillas at room temperature, they will only last 2-3 days. In the refrigerator, they will last 5-7 days and in the freezer, they will last for 6-8 months. In all cases, be sure they are in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Flour Tortillas?
Yes, homemade flour tortillas freeze great! Store them as mentioned above with a paper towel on the top and bottom of the stack. When you are ready to eat them, allow them to thaw and then warm them up in the oven or microwave.
Do you feel like you are about to become the best homemade flour tortillas maker in town? Well, you should because it really is so simple! And you won’t ever want store bought tortillas ever again! Do it!!
All our Favorite Recipes for Using these Tortillas:
- Roasted Tomatillo Chicken Enchiladas
- Smothered BBQ Beef Burritos
- Teriyaki Chicken Quesadilla
- Secrets to the Best Quesadilla
- Cafe Rio Copycat Sweet Pork
- Pork Carnitas (Instant Pot Version)
- Chicken Fajitas
- Steak Fajitas
- Smothered Honey Lime Chicken Burritos
- Crock Pot Cafe Rio Copycat Chicken
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 6 Cups Bread Flour
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Teaspoons Salt
- 2/3 Cup Oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/4 Cups Water Boiling
- In a mixing bowl of a standing mixer, add the flour, salt, baking powder and oil.
- Using a dough hook, turn the mixer onto low speed, never high and mix until the mixture comes together and looks like moon sand or barely wet sand. You can squeeze it in your hand and it holds together.
- Add the boiling water, about 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer on low speed. Run, adding water as you go until the dough comes together. Allow the mixer to run for another 2-4 minutes until the dough is satiny.
- Very lightly flour the work surface and pinch off balls of dough smaller than the palm of your hand.
- Holding the ball in your palm, use your other hand to pinch the dough into the center over and over as you form a rounded side against your hand and flat side where you are pinching.
- Place all of the dough in your bowl and cover with a warm, damp paper towel or place a lid on the bowl. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat.
- Lightly flour the work surface and roll out the dough balls one at a time with a rolling pin.
- Cook the tortilla on the hot pan until bubbles grow large, flip over and cook again until light browning shows.
- Remove from heat and serve
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.