We just got back from Mexico a few weeks ago and these Easy 3 Ingredient Chorizo Potatoes had to be recreated asap for a savory breakfast or side!
We had the most amazing meals while staying in Mexico. Maybe the location helped a bit, maybe it was the sun, the pool at our side and the absolute peace of having nothing on our schedules to distract us from just loving and being together, but either way these Easy 3 Ingredient Chorizo Potatoes tasted like one of the most simply delicious things ever. We just had to recreate them!
Let me tell you a little bit about what I’m talking about. Cade and I were on a speaking tour all last year. It was amazing. Have you heard of Time Out for Women before? It really is the most amazing weekend to go and fill up your tank to be a better person.
However, when you’re one of the speakers that comes with an extra load to carry as it means finding sitters to stay with your kids while you fly out of town. Praying and writing to come up with the best talk to give to the women who have sacrificed time, money and efforts to be there. It means staying up late and getting up early, worrying and working through nerves, etc.
It was the best experience of our lives, but by the end of the year we knew we needed to get away as a family. And get away we did!!
San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico
We are going to be writing an entire post on why we chose the location we chose, where we stayed (Casa Mariposa is already being booked by our family for next year it was seriously that amazing!!!!) and what we did, but for now let me say this, it was everything you’ve always dreamed a vacation would be.
At Casa Mariposa there is a small staff to help you with what you need, the concierge is Carlos and Lupita does all the cooking. I’ll be honest with you, I thought for sure that we wouldn’t use them. Cade and I are so easy going and we love to cook and go out to eat so why would we need anyone?
We were wrong.
Lupita cooked breakfast and lunch for us every day, and it was not only delicious but made for an unforgettable experience. One morning she made us these easy 3 ingredient chorizo potatoes with simple huevos rancheros and I’m pretty sure Cade fell in love.
Easy 3 Ingredient Chorizo Potatoes
So what are Lupita’s Easy 3 Ingredient Chorizo Potatoes? Well, to be fair, we forgot to ask her how she made them, but I carefully ate them, savoring every bite and while our chorizo probably isn’t as good as theirs I’m pretty sure hers was the same as this recipe, or only slightly different.
All you need is 3 Ingredients:
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Minced, Fresh Garlic
These potatoes are first pan fried creating a roasted, caramelized flavor on the potatoes, and then spicy chorizo is thrown in along with a little garlic to bring out everything you’d want in a simple Mexican breakfast.
What is the Difference Between Mexican and Spanish Chorizo?
- Mexican Chorizo- Mexican chorizo is a spicy ground meat sausage that is most commonly sold fresh and uncooked. As you cook the chorizo you’ll notice the deep red color like a brick, the meat is ground like ground hamburger and it is very fragrant and flavorful.
- Spanish Chorizo– Spanish chorizo is a dried and cured sausage in casing. It can be usually found with other ready-to-eat cured meat products like salami etc by the deli. These chorizos can be smoked or unsmoked, and may be sweet or spicy depending on what you buy.
What Meat is Chorizo
Mexican Chorizo is usually made of pork but it can be made in a vegan and beef form as well.
Mexican chorizo is a highly seasoned fatty sausage. Most versions are bright or dark red in color due to the seasonings. There is also green chorizo, which gets its color from chiles and cilantro.
Can Chorizo be Eaten Raw?
No. Oh, please don’t eat Mexican Chorizo raw as it is literally raw meat and that will make you sick.
If you buy a dry cured chorizo sausage that meat has been smoked or cured so you can slice and eat it. A good rule of thumb is if it’s hard like a smoked salami, slice and eat. If it is loose like ground beef, cook that sucker.
When is Mexican Chorizo Done?
Oh, isn’t that so hard when you first start cooking Chorizo?! Mexican Chorizo is a little hard to be able to determine if the meat has been cooked through and is done, ready to be eaten and enjoyed. This is because of all of the fat from the sausage and spices that heavily color the meat.
It takes about 4-5 minutes to cook raw, Mexican Chorizo. Watch for the meat to appear more dry and hold together in bits. You may want to drain some of the fats before adding chorizo to other ingredients.
Is Chorizo Healthy?
I so badly want to tell you that chorizo is healthy and good for you, but the truth is, chorizo is a fatty sausage, therefore making it high in fat. Try to limit the amount of chorizo you eat and add in lots of healthy options to your plate to help you maintain a balanced diet.
Can Chorizo Cause Heartburn?
Because spicy foods and fatty foods can irritate the lining of the esophagus, chorizo can cause heartburn. It all depends though, you could get a Mexican Chorizo that isn’t as spicy or fatty and may not suffer. However, another brand or chorizo may cause you irritation.
How Long Will Chorizo Last in the Fridge?
You can check the expiration date on most chorizo packages, but in case you don’t see one:
- Chorizo generally lasts for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Remember to keep it away from other meats and veggies as it is a raw meat product.
Can Chorizo be Frozen?
We freeze chorizo all the time as we generally only use a portion of the meat. To do this, place unused chorizo in a ziploc bag and press out all of the air. Freeze for up to 6 weeks before using it.
Where to Buy Chorizo
Mexican chorizo is most commonly found in the butcher or meat department. In our local grocery stores they are in two places.
- The first being the regular meat department usually at one end or the other.
- The second, a specialty Mexican cooler that has salsas, Mexican cheeses, tortillas and chorizo.
If you can’t find it you can always track down a local Mexican market in town. Those are sure to have great products.
Savory Breakfast RECIPES
Looking for more savory breakfast recipes? A good breakfast is our fave, so make sure you try our FAMOUS Southern Sausage Breakfast Cake, Cheesy Salsa Verde Sausage Breakfast Enchiladas, Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole, Our Favorite Breakfast Sandwich or Easy Ham and Cheese Scones!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Easy 3 Ingredient Chorizo Potatoes
- 2.5 pounds Potatoes Yukon Gold, chopped small
- 3 Ounces Chorizo Beef
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and the potatoes. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are roasted and tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, adding a little more oil if needed and continue to cook the potatoes, increasing the heat to medium high if needed until browned, crispy sides show.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add the chorizo and garlic over medium heat. Place a splatter screen over the pan as it can be very messy. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes.
- Using a mesh strainer, strain any excess liquid from the chorizo.
- Add the chorizo mixture to the potatoes and cook, stirring as needed until everything is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.