Sweet potato rounds are like crostinis that you load up with goodness, but it’s all on top of roasted sweet potatoes making them a totally delicious and healthy side dish.
Years ago I started making little sweet potato rounds for our Christmas dinner. We did the gruyere sweet potato stacks the most but then with leftover cranberry sauce I started to experiment and eventually that led me to an adapted version of sweet potato rounds by Tidy Mom. I absolutely love making these and they are surprisingly very easy.
I love that I can use leftover cranberry sauce or fig spread. The cheese is also easy to swap and mix up. But most of all, I love that they taste absolutely scrumptious while looking stunning. Sometimes the best food is the ugliest, but that is not the case here!!
What Do I Need to Make Sweet Potato Rounds?
Just wait until you read all the delicious ingredients that go into this recipe! So much flavor in every bite…this is what you will need:
- Sweet Potatoes – you can peel the sweet potatoes if you want but I like to leave the skins on
- Olive Oil – used to roast the sweet potato rounds
- Fresh Orange Zest – you can’t beat the flavor of fresh citrus and it plays so well with the flavor of the toppings
- Kosher Salt – adds so much flavor
- Black Pepper – adds flavor and a teeny tiny kick
- Cranberry Sauce – you can use our recipe or make your own, but definitely make it from scratch
- Crumbled Feta – buy the brick of feta and crumble it yourself
For the Nuts
- Hazelnuts – easily swapped out for other nuts if you want, but roasted hazelnuts are so perfect for the holidays!
- Butter – helps roast the nuts and adds richness and flavor
- Cinnamon – adds flavor and warmth
For the Drizzle
- Honey – acts as the base for the drizzle and adds natural sweetness
- Balsamic Vinegar – adds a sweet tangy punch to the drizzle
- Fresh Thyme – adds a bright pop of flavor and freshness
If you aren’t a feta fan or want to change things up a little, then these are my suggestions for some possible cheese substitutes:
- Bleu Cheese
- Goats Cheese
- Parmesan Aged White Cheddar
Hazelnuts can be a little harder to find than other nuts so if you have a hard time finding them or aren’t a fan, then try swapping them with any of these:
Why You Will Love These Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Versatile – they can be an app or side dish, you can change up toppings depending on what you have or what you love
Healthy Side Dish – you would typically see a recipe like this done with bread but by using roasted sweet potatoes, you reduce calories and carbs
Fun to Make – my kids love to help making these because it’s sort of like making little pizzas
Beautiful – they are so darn pretty with all those colors and layers
Uses up Leftovers – it’s a great way to use up extra cranberry sauce
So Flavorful – you are hitting all the notes you want in a side dish…sweet, salty, tangy — and the textures are amazing…creamy, crunchy
What to Eat with Sweet Potato Rounds
I mentioned that we like to eat these with Christmas dinner, and they go well with just about any holiday meal or Sunday dinner. Here are a few ideas:
We can’t wait to hear what you think of these and what you eat them with!
Roasted sweet potatoes topped with sweet and tangy cranberry sauce, salty feta, fresh thyme, toasted spiced hazelnuts and a fabulous honey balsamic drizzle…are you drooling?! You should be! These sweet potato rounds are the best healthy side dish!
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Mini Sweet Potato Gratins
- Gruyere Sweet Potato Stacks
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Souffle
- Orange Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Rounds with Cranberry, Feta and Hazelnuts
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, sliced into 1/2-3/4" circles
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Orange Zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Cranberry Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Crumbled Feta, see note
For the Nuts
- 1/3 Cup Hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
For the Drizzle
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh Thyme , for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425° and set out a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl combine olive oil, orange zest, salt and pepper. Add sweet potato rounds to the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- One by one, in an even layer, place the sweet potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet, leaving space in between. Roast sweet potato slices for 10-12 minutes, until the bottom is golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully flip the rounds over using a spatula. Return to the oven and continue roasting for an additional 10-12 minutes until they are golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a small nonstick pan over medium heat and toss the hazelnuts until toasted, about 1 minute and then add the butter. Once melted, add the cinnamon and stir to coat for about 1 more minute, being sure the nuts aren't browning much. Remove to a plate.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Transfer to a serving platter and top each round with cranberry sauce, cheese, and nuts.
- In a small dish, whisk the balsamic vinegar and honey until smooth. It will take a second to emulsify. Using a spoon, drizzle honey vinegar over the tops of the rounds and garnish with fresh thyme. Serve immediately.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.