This baked chicken pastina dish is full of flavor, and super easy to make. This recipe turns out every time and is especially great if you need to take it to a friend or neighbor.
What Is Pastina?
Pastina is a type of pasta that comes in a variety of shapes.
It is the smallest type of pasta produced.
Is Chicken Breast Leaner Than Thigh?
Both chicken thighs and breasts are good sources of lean protein.
Dark chicken meat, like thighs, are higher in fat than the breast.
Can Pasta Be Frozen?
Pasta, with or without the sauce can be frozen.
Freeze pasta in a freezer safe container that is wrapped well in plastic and foil.
Baked Chicken Pastina
Baked Chicken Pastina
recipe by Giada
- 1 cup pastina pasta or any small pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cubed chicken breast 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced onion about 1/2 a small onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs we prefer to make our own or use foccia croutons ground with italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon butter plus more for buttering the pan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta into a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, stirring to combine, and cook until the onions are soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
- Put the chicken mixture into the bowl with the cooked pasta.
- Add the canned tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Place the mixture in a buttered 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Dot the top with small bits of butter.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.