Blueberry Feta Watermelon salad is bright, colorful and such a refreshing side to your summer BBQ. It has fresh watermelon, blueberries, chunks of feta cheese and bursts of fresh basil and mint.
What?! Watermelon with feta cheese?! Seems like a crazy pair, but trust me on this one! You’re going to love this gorgeous salad!
Every summer we post a poll on Facebook asking fans if they put salt on their watermelon. The responses always make me laugh. You all have very strong opinions about salted watermelon. Some wouldn’t dream of eating it any other way, and other are vehemently opposed to such an atrocity. So funny how fired up people can be about something so unimportant!
But anyway, back to this salad! The combination of watermelon with some savory flavors is quite delicious and actually enhances the sweetness of the watermelon.
What Ingredients Go In Watermelon Salad?
Head down to the recipe card for the measurements for all these ingredients. You can knock most of these out with a quick stop in the produce section of your grocery store:
- Feta Cheese
- Basil (fresh)
- Mint (fresh)
- Olive Oil
How to Make Watermelon Salad
This is a simple one folks…whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together and then pour it over the watermelon, blueberries and feta.
That’s it! Toss it all together to get everything coated and then dig in!
How to Pick a Good Watermelon
You get home and slice into your watermelon for dinner and the color is pale, it’s not juicy at all and it’s flavorless. Is there anything more frustrating?!
Here are a few tips for picking a delicious watermelon:
- Sounds a little hollow when you knock on it, not totally hollow or completely full
- A good creamy yellow spot where it rested on the ground – if it’s white or not there, then it’s not ripe
- Bee stings all over – these are the little brown spots all over that are pollination points where the sugar is seeping out, this means a sweet perfect watermelon
- Feels heavy for it’s size – if it’s heavier than it looks like it should be, then it’s super juicy
I hope this helps make your watermelon decisions a little less anxiety ridden in the future!
How to Slice a Watermelon
Who wants to slice the watermelon? Anyone? Anyone? Ok, so it’s not everyone’s favorite thing to do, but it doesn’t have to be the beast everyone makes it out to be. Head to our post on how to slice a watermelon to make life easier!
Is Watermelon Nutritious?
While watermelon is mostly water, it still has good levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids.
How Long Will Watermelon Salad Keep?
An uncut watermelon will keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Once it is cut and put in this salad, it will only keep for about 3 days.
Are Blueberries Good For You?
Blueberries are packed with potassium and vitamin C.
What Can You Substitute For Feta Cheese?
Ricotta cheese is the best substitute for Feta Cheese.
Queso fresco, or fresh goat cheese can also be substituted.
Now, I’m sure you’re wondering if I salt my watermelon. You’re on the edge of your seats, right? The answer is sometimes. I’m weird, right?! It just depends on the mood I’m in! Right now, I’m in the mood for this watermelon salad!
Our Favorite Summer Side Dishes:
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Potato Salad
- Elote Mexican Grilled Corn Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Southern English Pea Salad
- Baked Beans
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Balsamic Vinaigrette Grilled Vegetables
- Fruit Salad
Blueberry Feta Watermelon Salad
- 1/2 Watermelon, Chopped
- 2 Pints Blueberries
- 6 oz Feta Cheese, 1 container
- 1 Tablespoon Basil, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Mint, Chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Whisk together the basil, mint, lime juice, honey, and olive oil.
- Pour over the watermelon, blueberries and cheese.
- Toss to coat.