The perfect side dish for bbqs, and potlucks or a warm summer day, fruit salad with lemon dressing and yummy brown sugar nuts!
One of the best things about writing a cookbook was really getting to think about what food we love the most and the stories behind it. We have been overwhelmed with the amazing emails and letters we’ve received about how much you all are enjoying our cookbook so we wanted to throw one of our exclusive recipes out there for you all to try and we hope you take a minute to order the Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook!
Our daughters are obsessed with fruit salad which is why a version of this recipe ended up in our cookbook. They cannot get enough of it and if we ever just serve fruit as the side dish not only are they thrilled and dinner becomes so easy but they also consider it to be “fruit salad” even if it’s just apples and grapes. Good enough for me! Our oldest daughter especially loves fruits and salads and this fruit salad with lemon dressing is 100% from her.
How Long Will Fruit Salad Keep?
To maximize the shelf life of fresh fruit salad for safety and quality, refrigerate the fruit salad in airtight containers.
Properly stored, fresh fruit salad will last for about 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Years ago my cousin introduced us to what is our family favorite salad recipe, berry spinach salad with lemon dressing. The lemon dressing is really easy to make, but you’ll have to forgive us for the amount of sugar. It’s kind of like lemonade, it’s really easy but in order to cut down on the tart, sour flavor you have to add a lot of sugar.
So it’s the fruit, any kind is perfect, a light lemon dressing and then we added some tiny sugared pecans (almonds or walnuts work too) just for a little texture and fun.
What Fruits Are Good for Fruit Salad?
Pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, raspberries and blueberries all hold up well in fruit salads.
How Much Fruit Salad do You Need for 50 People?
If you are planning to make a fruit tray or a fruit salad, a good rule of thumb is consider a 4 ounce serving per person.
Fruit Salad With Lemon Dressing
Fruit Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 1 Package Strawberries, sliced
- 1 Pint Blueberries
- 1 Pint Raspberries
- 2 Mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can Mandarin Oranges, 15 oz, drained
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice, fresh only
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Pinch Cinnamon
- For the Nuts
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted quickly stir in the nuts and brown sugar, continuing to stir for about a minute or until the sugar is all over the nuts.
- Allow to cool on parchment and crumble up any nuts stuck together.
- Set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the zest, lemon juice, oil, sugar and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all of the fruit, drizzle with dressing, gently folding everything together until lightly coated. You should have a small amount of dressing remaining which you can store in the fridge for salads.
I love when watermelon season starts. It’s my favorite time of year!