Ingredients for Blueberry Breakfast Cake
This recipe has a bunch of the standard cake ingredients plus some key ingredients (that I just mentioned) to make this cake moist and fluffy. Here is your shopping list:
- Vegetable Oil
- Lemon Zest
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Baking Powder
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Blueberry Breakfast Cake
I love a fun breakfast that is super easy to make! This breakfast cake comes together like a dessert cake and everyone is going to feel like they are eating dessert for breakfast! Here are the basic steps:
- Preheat the oven and prepare your baking dish.
- Add the sugar (minus 2 tablespoons) to a bowl and add the lemon zest. Rub the sugar and zest together with your fingers. This enhances the lemon flavor.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a standing mixer until it is fluffy. Add the oil and mix it again.
- Add the eggs and extracts and mix everything together.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix until it is almost incorporated and then add the buttermilk and stir until it is all barely combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the pan and sprinkle the top with the reserved sugar.
- Bake and then allow to cool before serving.
- PRO TIP: Altitude will really affect the baking time. We are at over 4000 ft here so it takes about 50 minutes to bake. At lower altitudes, it could take as little as 35-40 minutes. Check it with a toothpick and pull the cake out of the oven when the toothpick comes out with just a few crumbles on it.
These instructions can also be found in the recipe card at the end of this post. You can also save or print the recipe from there.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
Yes, frozen blueberries will work fine. They should be added to the batter while still frozen. I would also add them between layers of batter rather than folding them into the dough. The color from frozen blueberries tends to bleed into the batter when you mix it. Pour a layer of batter, sprinkle the blueberries, then pour another layer of batter and sprinkle with berries and repeat until the batter and berries are gone ending with blueberries.
Can I Freeze this Cake?
Yes, this cake freezes very well! Let it cool completely and then wrap it twice in plastic wrap followed by foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, pull it out of the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for a few hours until it is thawed.
Whether it’s Christmas morning, Conference morning, or brunch with the ladies, this buttermilk blueberry breakfast cake is the perfect recipe to please hungry bellies. It is moist, fluffy and full of juicy blueberries.
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Sugar minus 2 tablespoons
- 2 Eggs large, whisked
- 2 Lemons zested
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 4 Cups Flour
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 1/4 Cups Blueberries fresh
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, remove 2 tablespoons to a separate bowl for the topping and add lemon zest and rub together with your fingers.
- In a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the oil and mix again.
- Crack in your eggs and add the extracts and then give the mixer a final turn before dumping in all dry ingredients. Mix until almost incorporated and then add in the buttermilk and stir until barely combined.
- Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the berries. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and sprinkle generously with the sugar.
- Bake 40-50 minutes (see note) or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool and serve!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.