What Is Carnita?
Carnita is a Mexican shredded meat.
The meat is braised or roasted, and is often used in tacos or burritos.
What Is Queso Fresco?
Queso Fresco is a semi-soft cheese, white in color.
It is often used in Mexican cuisine.
What Can You Substitute For Queso Fresco?
Feta cheese makes a good substitute for queso fresco.
You should choose a mild feta cheese to use in place of queso fresco.
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- Corn Tortillas
- Queso Fresco crumbled
- Cilantro chopped
For the Pork
- 4 lbs Pork Shoulder/Butt boneless
- 6 Cloves of Garlic pressed
- 1/4 Teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano or 2 Teaspoons Fresh Oregano
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 1/2- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- Combine garlic, pepper, oregano, olive oil, vinegar and salt.
- Rub pork all over with garlic mixture and refrigerate overnight in a ziploc bag, turning over once before going to bed.
- The next day place the pork in the crockpot on low and cook for 8 hours.
- We like to serve ours with warmed corn tortillas, cilantro and cotija or queso fresco and sometimes a little avocado.