One of the hardest parts about cooking dinner during the summer is always turning on the oven. No one wants to do it. Am I right? I totally understand and I hear you, I do, but now I’m going to ask you to do just that because this cheesy basil vegetables side dish is so worth it. Roasted vegetables always are.
We had a few veggies that needed to be used up last night, but more importantly our basil was in it’s last few days of life and so I thought I would try my hand at a quick and easy veggie dish that you all can serve. We looooooved it.
This is so easy and you can definitely use fresh or dried basil which means that this recipe is one you can make all year round. I know your guests will love it once Thanksgiving hits too. I know, let’s not even talk about that yet, (Except I could have a new baby! EEEEEK!!) but it’s true.
Just start by slicing up your veggies, tossing them with the ingredients leaving out a little of the basil and cheeses and roast it all up in the oven. The last few minutes top with the additional cheese and then sprinkle the last of the basil on for serving. If it’s winter and you don’t have fresh basil you can garnish with a little parsley. Booyah!
Are Vegetables Hard to Digest?
Some vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and kale contain high fiber and cellulose, which are hard to digest.
But, eating these vegetables reduces your risk of cancers of the digestive tract.
Carrots, winter squash, summer squash (especially peeled), starchy tubers (yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes), turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, beets, plantains, yaro, and Yuca are generally easier on the digestive system.
Cheesy Basil Vegetables
Cheesy Basil Vegetables
- 2 Medium Carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 Small Zucchini, sliced
- 2 Small yellow Squash, sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 Cup Low-Moisture Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, Divided (reserve 1/4 Cup of the cheese)
- 3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Divided (reserve 1/4 Cup)
- 1/4 Cup Basil, chopped or 1-2 Tablespoons Dried Basil (reserving a little fresh basil for garnish)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, add all of the vegetables, 1/2 Cup Mozzarella, 1/2 Cup Parmesan, basil, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle about 1/4 Cup Olive oil over the vegetables. Just enough to slightly coat them.
- Place everything in a 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 400 for 20-30 min, or until the vegetables are tender and the cheese is browning and bubbly.
- The last 10 minutes add the remaining cheese.
- Before serving garnish with fresh basil or fresh parsley if needed.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 174 Calories
- Total Fat: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 22.1mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Protein: 10g