The steak marinade to end all steak marinades! This has everything the perfect marinade needs to create flavorful, juicy, tender, melt-in-your-mouth steak.
It’s what you look for when you go to a nice restaurant…that perfectly cooked steak! A tender steak packed with flavor starts with this steak marinade.
And now you don’t need to go to a restaurant! It’s super easy to make that dream steak right at home!
What Ingredients Do You Need for Steak Marinade?
This steak marinade has the four essential parts to a marinade – fat, acid, salt and seasonings to enhance flavor (see section below for more details). Here is what you will need:
- Hanger Steak
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Lemon Juice
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Stone Ground Dijon Mustard
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
What Kind of Steak Should I Buy?
Hanger steak can be hard to track down. Only the best steak is worth some extra effort to find! I can only find it at a butcher and not at a regular grocery store.
If you can’t find hanger steak, go for a skirt steak, flank steak, NY strip or ribeye steak. All of those will soak up this marinade and be great.
You can even use this marinade on filet mignon! Basically, you can’t go wrong with this steak marinade!
How to Make Steak Marinade?
Marinading a steak isn’t rocket science, right? No, it’s easy, but we do have a couple of tips for doing it right.
- Add all the marinade ingredients into a large ziploc bag. Seal the bag and mix all the ingredients around to mix thoroughly.
- Add the steak to the bag.
- Let it marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 12 hours.
- When you are ready to grill, turn your grill to high heat and brush the grates with oil.
- Place the steaks on the grill and turn the heat down to medium high.
- Cook the steaks for 4-8 minutes on each side (see section below for level of doneness)
- Remove the steaks and place them on a plate to rest before slicing – resting is critical!
How Long Should I Marinate Steak?
I recommend marinating for 1 hour to 12 hours. Anything more than that, and the marinade will actually start to be detrimental to the steak.
Why Marinate Meat?
Marinades soften leaner meats that tend to be dry and make tougher cuts tastier.
What Happens If You Marinate Meat Too Long?
Marinating meat too long could over flavor it or make it mushy.
Can Steak Be Marinated Over Night?
If the marinade contains no salt, acid, or alcohol, it can be left overnight.
What Temperature Should Steak Be Cooked To?
This is a controversial topic! Steak doneness…it can breaks up marriages and homes…haha, okay, hopefully not, but people are particular about their steaks! Here is the breakdown for temperatures:
- Rare – 130 degrees F
- Medium Rare – 135 degrees F
- Medium – 145 degrees F
- Medium Well – 150 degrees F
- Well Done – 160 degrees F
We are medium fans for sure!
Components of the Perfect Steak Marinade
I mentioned earlier the four components to the perfect marinade so let me go into a little more detail on for the purpose of each:
- Fat: Olive oil – prevents sticking and adds flavor
- Acid: Balsamic vinegar and lemon juice – tenderize, flavor, perfect grill marks
- Salt: flavor, moisture retention, tenderize
- Seasonings: mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic – flavor, flavor flavor
How Long Will Steak Last?
Grilled steak can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 days.
How to Reheat Steak?
There’s nothing worse than taking a leftover steak, trying to reheat it, and totally over cooking it so that it’s barely edible. The best way to reheat a steak so that it is just as good as it was the first time is to use the oven.
Put your leftover steak on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Set your oven to 250 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees F.
Your steaks are ready for a makeover and this steak marinade is ready for the job! You’ll never make a steak a different way again!
Watch How to Make the Best Steak Marinade Video
More Delicious STEAK RECIPES:
- Steak Fajita Marinade
- Easy Garlic Butter Steak at Home
- Easy Philly Cheesesteak Bread
- Healthy Thai Peanut Steak Salad
- Grilled Steak Burrito Bowls
- Grilled Flank Steak Summer Salad
- Porterhouse Steak with Mushrooms
- Spicy Steak and Shrimp Kabobs
- Steak Burrito with Grilled Zucchini
- Steak and Brussels Sprouts
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- All our Beef Recipes here!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Marinated Beef Steak
- 1 Hanger Steak see note
For The Marinade
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Stone Ground Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Large Cloves of Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In a large ziplock bag, add the marinade ingredients. Seal the bag and squish to combine the ingredients.
- Open the bag and carefully drop in the steak.
- Allow to marinate in the fridge for 1-12 hours.
- Heat a grill to high heat, and brush grates with oil.
- Add the steaks and then turn down to medium high heat.
- Cook steaks for 4-8 minutes per side depending on desired doneness and then remove to a plate to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.