These Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Chip Cookies are sure to fulfill all of your chocolate dreams with puddles of chocolate and flaked sea salt in a chewy cookie.
For years we’ve been searching for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe, much like every other blogger in the world.
I know, that seems a bit dramatic or negative, but here’s the thing, there’s no way for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe to exist much like there’s no way for the perfect pair of jeans.
Each person is too different, too many likes and dislikes to ever fit into one mold.
And that’s ok, we don’t have to all be the same. It’s why we’ve changed our search for such a cookie recipe. Instead we will be doing something new on our website.
The Search for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Sometimes I want big and fluffy chocolate chip cookies and other times I want them a little more like I grew up on, a little on the thin and chewy side.
Because of this we’ve decided to adjust our search to a search for the best of every category chocolate chip cookies.
For example, this is the Best Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe I’ve ever tried.
We will find:
- Bakery style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies like Levain or Goodly
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thin and Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
As you can see, we have a lot of recipe development to get on top of.
- If there’s one we missed just let us know!
Today let’s tackle the chocolate lover’s chocolate chip cookie and the secret to the best, melty chocolate in them.
Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Chip Cookie
Ask your friends and they are usually divided, lots of chocolate or less chocolate so they can taste both the chocolate and the cookie base.
A chocolate lover’s chocolate chip cookie is packed full of chocolate but we had to get picky here, deciding what the texture would be, chewy of course so that the fluffy doesn’t overrule the chocolate.
Then we had to think on the chocolate.
If it’s chocolate obsession time you can’t go with basic chocolate chips. You need chocolate puddles.
Finally, in order to keep the chocolate the star we needed to cut the sweetness, a little flaked sea salt on top did the job.
Why Melted Butter in Cookies
These cookies are made with melted butter which is first cooled to room temperature.
Usually butter and sugars are beat together before adding other ingredients. The sugar granules cut through the softened butter and air is forced into the mixture. While baking that air helps with leavening.
Melted butter won’t incorporate air so it helps with a chewy cookie but won’t make for the extra fluffy cookie.
What is the Best Chocolate for Chocolate Chip Cookies
We’ve tested all of the chocolate you can buy, and finally rested on Scharffen Berger chocolate.
These semi-sweet baking chunks are perfect in flavor and leave those big ol’ puddles.
You can buy Scharffen Berger chocolate at Target, or some grocery stores.
What Flaked Sea Salt for Baking
Maldon is one of the best and easiest flaked sea salts to buy. Flaked sea salt should be kept in your pantry at all times.
You can use flaked sea salt:
- Sprinkled over shishito peppers
- To make perfect baked potatoes
- Herbed Focaccia Bread
- Chocolate Covered Caramels
Do Chocolate Chip Cookies Need To Be Stored In An Airtight Container?
An airtight container is essential in storing chocolate chip cookies, especially these melted butter chocolate chip cookies recipe.
Keeping the air away from the cookies will keep them from drying out and spoiling. You definitely want to get them stored as soon as they are cool.
What Makes Chocolate Chip Cookies Crisp?
Melted butter is crucial in a crisp chocolate chip cookie but also using more white sugar will lead to a crisper cookie.
Corn syrup will also brown and crisp up the cookies, clearly this is not the recipe for a crisp cookie, but they are extra chewy!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Chocolate Lovers Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 14 Tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 2 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar Dark is fine too
- 1/2 Cup Sugar + 2 Tablespoons
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Chocolate Baking Chunks Scharffen Berger Semi Sweet, I buy at Target or Amazon. see note
- Place the butter in a small skillet pan over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes - stirring almost constantly. The butter should start to go foamy and be lightly browned. Remove from heat and scrape butter (and any brown specks) into a bowl. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and bring the butter back to room temperature; about an hour. Do NOT chill.
- Once the butter is back to room temp, not hot or cold, Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line 2 large baking sheets with silpats and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the brown butter and both sugars; beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, stirring only until the flour begins to disappear. Fold in chocolate baking pieces.
- Use a heaping cookie scoop for the dough, then place on prepared sheet (make sure to leave enough room in between each cookie for spreading). Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until golden at the edges but still soft in the middle. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the sheet before transferring to a wire wrack to cool completely.