This is our favorite easy teriyaki chicken recipe using grilled chicken thighs and the absolute best teriyaki sauce ever, ever, ever!
The Best Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Cade loves sushi. Like, loves it. I think it is horrid. Wait, I know, you all love it too, but I just can’t jump on that bandwagon. I kind of want to, but at this point I’m just trying to find ways to survive. For example, I adore Cade and because he loves sushi I love going out with him for it.
The only stinky part is that then I sit there with nothing to eat, so I generally try to get a teriyaki chicken bowl or something similar. I loved an easy teriyaki chicken bowl growing up and remember how I told you about our teriyaki chicken quesadillas? Yeah, pretty much delicious. So why have I never posted such an easy and delicious recipe?!
I think the real secret to teriyaki chicken, other than a good sauce is actually the meat you use. Everyone goes for breast meat, which is awesome a leaner, but it’s all about them thighs! Chicken thighs are more moist and work so well with the teriyaki sauce.
In fact, maybe I should ask if they could make a teriyaki chicken sushi roll!!! GENIUS! Oh, wait, except I don’t love the seaweed. Dagnabit! See! I’ve tried to like the stuff. Any recommendations on what kind I should try that would be better for me to ease into? And in the meantime, bust out our easy teriyaki chicken bowl for the fam!
Teriyaki Chicken Ingredients
The best part of this teriyaki chicken recipe is, without a doubt, the homemade chicken teriyaki sauce. Oh my goodness is that stuff delicious! Best of all, it’s such an easy teriyaki sauce recipe and takes less than 5 minutes to make.
Here’s what we use in this homemade teriyaki chicken recipe:
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds and green onions, optional
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
This truly is such a simple teriyaki chicken recipe. All you have to do is whisk together the chicken teriyaki sauce, grill the chicken, and serve! Here are the basic steps to mastering this teriyaki chicken recipe:
- Add the chicken teriyaki sauce ingredients to a saucepan and stir.
- Bring to a boil and let cook until thickened, then set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then cook on a pre-heated grill pan.
- Slice the chicken, then serve with rice. Spoon homemade chicken teriyaki sauce on top.
Is Teriyaki Sauce Gluten-Free?
The most common source of gluten in teriyaki sauce is the soy sauce. Most soy sauces, unless labeled gluten-free, contain wheat as well as soybeans, salt and water.
What Can You Substitute for Rice in Teriyaki Chicken?
If you want to make your dish healthier, you can serve this easy teriyaki chicken with brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or in a lettuce wrap.
Can I Make Teriyaki Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can! Make the sauce the same as the directions state, then place the chicken in the slow cooker, salt and pepper it, and then pour the sauce over it. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2.
Tips for Making the Best Teriyaki Chicken
If desired, you could use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. However, we prefer using chicken thighs in this teriyaki chicken recipe as they result in a richer, juicier dish.
You can cook the chicken outdoors on a grill or indoors on a grill pan. And if you don’t have either, simply cook the chicken in an oiled skillet.
We like to garnish this easy teriyaki chicken with sesame seeds and sliced green onions, but both are optional.
More TERIYAKI Recipes:
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Pasta Salad
- Teriyaki Beef Casserole
- Chicken Noodles
- Teriyaki Pina Colada Burger
- Teriyaki Veggie Bowl
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Salad
- Teriyaki Beef Wrap
- Teriyaki Chicken Quesadilla
- Pina Colada Teriyaki Chicken Strips
- All our family friendly ASIAN INSPIRED RECIPES here!
Easy Teriyaki Chicken
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper , to taste
- sesame seeds and green onions , for garnish
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, honey and ground ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the water and cornstarch together then slowly whisk into the sauce.
- Allow the sauce to continue cooking at a soft boil for 1-3 minutes or until thick. Set aside.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Allow to rest on a plate for 2 minutes, then cut into slices.
- Serve over rice with sauce.