Huge, soft green mint chocolate chip cookies are just what you need for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a holiday that I don’t do much for, much to my children’s chagrin, but these cookies are totally in my wheelhouse!
I failed HARD last St Patrick’s day. You guys, my kids are older, who knew it would break some hearts to not make something green for St Paddy’s? I bought Lucky Charms that turn the milk green, I thought that would be so fun since I never buy marshmallow cereal. (No judgments if you do, I just hate that as they are putting away cereal bowls they are already asking for a snack because it didn’t fill them up.)
I mean, ok I do have a little guy, but he wasn’t even the upset one, it was the 10 going on 11 year old that was so sad. Yeash. I busted out some green cookies, borrowed a gold spray painted box from the neighbor and Cade bought all sorts of green candies and even pop to stuff inside.
I’ll probably never go to that extent again, it’s just not my holiday, but the winner of the night did in fact end up being these cookies and I just had to share them with all of you this year.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Imagine a fairly standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, with a few extra ingredients to make them minty, green and extra chewy. Here is your grocery list:
- Peppermint Extract
- Green Food Coloring
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cream of Tartar
- Corn Starch
- Dark Chocolate Chips
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card below.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is just like your typical chocolate chip cookie recipe. No surprises! Here are the basic steps:
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Add half of the chocolate chips to the dough and do a coarse chop on the rest and them to the dough.
- Mix to combine and then cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat.
- Form 1/4 cup balls of dough, place on baking sheet and bake.
- Let cool for a few minutes on the pan and then remove to a cooling rack.
All of the detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
How Do You Store Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or refrigerate for up to a month.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Cool completely, then place in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen, transfer to a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can You Freeze Cookie Dough?
The best way to freeze cookie dough is to line a cookie sheet with wax paper and form dough into balls. Place the dough balls on the cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to heavy duty freezer bags.
Can I Use Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies?
You can absolutely use any chocolate chips you want, or a combination of different chocolate chips would be good too. I just love the combination of mint with dark chocolate, so we went with dark chocolate for these cookies. You could even use Andes Mint pieces that you can buy at the store like we do in our Chocolate Andes Mint Cookies.
Do I Have to Add the Food Coloring?
The food coloring is optional. Making them green is just fun for St. Patrick’s Day, but it definitely not necessary.
What If I Don’t Have Cream of Tartar?
You can skip the cream of tartar, but we love the slight tanginess it gives the cookies paired with the mint and dark chocolate flavor.
Why Do You Add Cornstarch to Cookie Dough?
The addition of cornstarch to a cookie dough makes the cookies extra soft and helps them stay thick while baking. Thick and soft is exactly how I want my cookies to be!
If you find yourself scrambling at the last minute to do something special for St. Patrick’s Day to appease the children, head to our St. Patrick’s Day Snack Mix…it is a life saver!
Then go ahead and pour a glass of milk (you can even dye the milk green to be extra fun) and dunk these soft and chewy mint chocolate chip cookies! They are a crowd pleaser and definitely a kid pleaser! Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!
More Mint Chocolate Desserts:
- Andes Mint Chocolate Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Straciattella Ice Cream
- St. Patrick’s Mint Chocolate Bark
- Andes Mint White Chocolate Oreos
- Mint Brownies
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Chocolate Andes Mint Cookies
- Peppermint Double Chocolate Cookies
Green Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs, large, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspooon Peppermint Extract
- 10 Drops Green Food Coloring
- 3 1/4 Cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 12 oz. Dark Chocolate Bars, chopped, divided per recipe. Or use dark chocolate chips- see note
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then beat on medium for about 1-2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs + yolk, peppermint extract, and food coloring, beating together just until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cornstarch and salt. Dump into the wet ingredients and combine until the flour is almost mixed in.
- Add half of the chocolate chips to the dough.* Chop the other half coarsely, with a knife to add the small flecks like you see in mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Add the chopped chocolate to the dough, and mix until just combined.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for about 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line one or more baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to form balls of dough. Place them on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes, or until BARELY starting to brown on the edges. Do not brown the tops.
- Let cool 5 minutes on the pan, then remove to a cooling rack.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.