We had some left over ham the other night and I was trying to think up something a little more on the healthy side that I could make with it and nothing sounded good except soup. I think this Ham And Vegetable Soup actually turned out really delicious! I’ll for sure make this again. Plus it’s always good to have some ideas for leftovers so that you can make them into more meals. Especially ham. Doesn’t it always seem like you have a ham for Christmas or Easter and then tons of leftovers? I mean, ham sandwiches are only good for so long. Anyway, I hope you save this one because it’s the perfect way to use up veggies and meat before they go bad. Oh, and I think a little onion in this would add great flavor, but I didn’t add it in this recipe.
What Is A Good Substitute For Tomato Paste?
If you don’t have tomato paste, you can use tomato sauce or tomato puree.
Use twice as much sauce or puree than the amount of tomato paste that is called for.
Reduce the liquid in the recipe by about the same amount.
Can Vegetable Soup Be Frozen?
You can freeze homemade vegetable soup.
Let the soup cool and then pour it into heavy duty freezer bags, leaving room for expansion as it freezes.
Soup will keep in the freezer for 4-6 months.
Ham And Vegetable Soup
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Ham and Vegetable Soup
Ham and Vegetable Soup
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Carrots Sliced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 Zucchini sliced into 1/2" quarters
- 1 Potato peeled and chopped
- 1 Cup Broccoli
- 1 Can 15 oz Diced Italian Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Cubed Ham
- 1 Can 14 or 15 ounces depending on brand Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Can 14 or 15 ounces Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 3/4 Can Water fill the tomatoes can 3/4 the way full of water so you get all of the left over seasonings out
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Heat a large pot over med heat and add olive oil.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and stir continually for about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, and zucchini and saute until veggies are soft.
- Add broths, water, tomatoes, potatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer for 30 min or until potatoes are soft.
- Add broccoli, ham and cheese.
- Simmer 30 more minutes.
- Serve with warm bread!