The yummiest Instant Pot chicken soup recipe I’ve ever made! It is healthy, quick and easy. This might just be my new favorite chicken soup!! And that is saying a lot because I LOVE so many soups.
If you haven’t tried “The Soup“, you have to do that! It is a staple around here, but this new Italian chicken soup recipe is light, but filling, and so, so flavorful.
And then there is our chicken tortilla soup, which is the best chicken tortilla soup that has ever existed, but still, there’s something about this Italian chicken soup that just hits the spot for me! You have to try it!
With the Instant Pot, you end up with a soup in less than an hour that tastes like it has been simmering all day!
Ingredients Needed for Italian Chicken Soup
This soup is packed with veggies, rotisserie chicken, fresh herbs and orzo and topped with Parmesan and chunks of crusty bread. Head down to the recipe card for the exact measurements, but here is your grocery list:
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Water or Chicken Broth
- Better than Bouillon Chicken (not needed if you use chicken broth)
- Bay Leaves
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Orzo Pasta
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Parsley (fresh)
- Basil (fresh)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Bread (optional)
How to Make Italian Chicken Soup in the Instant Pot
Your going to want to start this recipe by chopping all the veggies so that they are ready to add at the appropriate time. I know most people hate chopping veggies, but I kind of like it. Does that make me the nerdiest? Once the veggies are chopped, you are ready to start cooking.
- Saute the veggies in the Instant Pot.
- Add broth, bay leaves, minced tomatoes and S&P.
- Place lid on and set valve to seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Cook the orzo in a pot on the stove top and then drain it while running it under cold water.
- Quick release the Instant Pot and remove the bay leaves.
- Add the chopped tomato, cooked orzo, chicken (see next section) and herbs and place the lid back on. Seal the valve again and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Quick release again, stir in the lemon juice and season to taste.
- We love to top each bowl with fresh parm and chunks of crusty bread.
For the full instructions, head down to the recipe card below.
What Kind of Chicken Should I Use?
Ideally, I buy the 2 pound bag of rotisserie chicken meat that they sell at Costco. It’s pretty much the best thing that has ever happened. All the flavor of a rotisserie chicken with none of the work.
If you can’t find that or you don’t live near a Costco, cook three chicken breasts using whatever method you prefer. You can cook them in the Instant Pot with the broth and veggies, or you can cook them stove top or even bake them. You could also just buy a rotisserie chicken and break it down yourself.
Variations for Italian Chicken Soup
One thing I love about this recipe is that it is so versatile. We love it with orzo, but you could also do any kind of pasta you enjoy. It is also great with rice, potatoes or beans. A small white bean would be good, like a navy bean or cannellini bean.
What Kind of Bread Should I Use?
We like to buy crusty bacci rolls or a good sourdough loaf. You could even make a loaf of our no knead artisan bread if you are feeling really ambitious! We like to toast them in the oven for a bit so the bread gets good and toasty. Carbs for life!
Can This Soup Be Made in the Crockpot?
This can absolutely be made in the Crockpot! Add all the ingredients except the orzo the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours. Add the orzo for about the last 10-15 minutes.
Can This Soup Be Made on the Stove Top?
Of course! Yes! Add all the ingredients except the orzo to the pot and simmer on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Stir in the orzo right before serving and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
Instant Pot Cheat Sheet
If you’re on the fence about an Instant Pot, you should take a look at our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet and it will sell you on the Instant Pot. You can make so many foods in just minutes.
Soup season is upon us and everyone should be making this Italian chicken soup recipe all season long! It is simple, delicious and on the table in no time! It is sure to be a family favorite!
More Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Instant Pot Chili
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Enchilada Chili
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Taco Chili
- Cheesy Meatball Soup
- One Pot Zuppa Toscana
- All our SOUP RECIPES here!
Instant Pot Italian Chicken Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, minced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Stalks Celery, Minced
- 3 Carrots, Peeled and chopped
- 8 Cups Water , or chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Better than Bouillion Chicken, skip if using broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Teaspoons Kosher Salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
- 3 Medium Tomatoes, Minced
- 1 Tomato, Chopped
- 1 Cup Orzo Pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 Pounds Rotisserie Chicken, shredded *see note
- 1/2 Bunch Parsley, minced
- 3/4 Cup Minced Basil Leaves, Fresh
- 1/2 Lemon, Juiced
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Bread for serving
- Prepare all of your ingredients by chopping the veggies on a cutting board so you're ready to go. See note for advice on the chicken.
- Add the oil to the instant pot and turn it to high saute mode. Once hot, add the veggies- onions, garlic, celery and carrots and stir until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, bay leaves, salt and pepper, and 3 minced tomatoes. Place the lid on and set the valve to seal. Press, pressure and set the time for 25 minutes. Cook the orzo in a pot and drain with cold water running over the orzo to separate the pasta.
- Do a quick release on the valve and remove the bay leaves.
- Add the 1 chopped tomato, orzo, chicken, and herbs and place the lid back on, turning the valve to seal and cooking for 4 more minutes.
- Do another quick release and stir in the lemon, season to taste and serve with fresh parmesan and bread!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.