We’ve made the BEST egg drop soup recipe ever! It’s ready in 15 minutes and tastes even better than any restaurant version you could order.
And that is saying a lot because I love ordering egg drop soup any time I go to a Chinese restaurant. The meal just doesn’t seem complete without it. The flavor has to be just right though…not too salty, not too thin, not greasy. This recipe checks all the boxes for the perfect soup!
It is perfect for a cold night, for a light meal, or as a side dish for a delicious Asian inspired main course! See our list of possibilities later in this post!
What is Egg Drop Soup?
Egg drop soup is a Chinese soup with a chicken broth base and wisps of beaten egg throughout. It is common to see green onions added as well as tofu.
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make Egg Drop Soup?
For a soup with the depth of flavor this has, the number of ingredients is small and likely items you already have at home:
- Chicken Broth
- Green Onions
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce
How to Make Easy Egg Drop Soup
I am going to take you through every detail of this simple recipe with pictures of every step.
Start by adding the chicken broth and chopped green onions into a pot and bring it to a boil over medium high heat.
In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, salt, cornstarch, sesame oil, soy sauce and cold water together and stir it into the boiling soup. The cornstarch will thicken the soup slightly and give it that perfect texture that you want with egg drop soup.
What to Serve with Egg Drop Soup?
Sometimes we have egg drop soup as the main course for dinner, but it makes a great side for several of our Asian inspired meals as well. Here are some ideas:
- Ham Fried Rice
- Teriyaki Veggie Rice Bowls
- Easy Orange Chicken
- Asian Sticky Salmon
- Crispy Honey Chicken
- 15 Minute Stir fry
Is Egg Drop Soup Good For You?
This soup is packed with protein because of the eggs and chicken broth, and it is very low calorie. You want to keep your eye on the sodium. If you’re watching your salt intake, you can use low sodium chicken broth.
Can You Substitute Flour For Cornstarch In Egg Drop Soup?
Yes, you can use flour to thicken egg drop soup. You will want to use about half the amount of flour, so about 1.5 tablespoons. You still whisk it together with the water, soy sauce, etc. Your soup will have a cloudiness to it rather than that clear glossy look that cornstarch give.
Is Soy Sauce Gluten Free?
Your standard soy sauce is not gluten free, but you can purchase gluten free soy sauce. It will be right next to the regular soy sauce at your grocery store.
How Do You Reheat Egg Drop Soup?
Egg drop soup makes great leftovers. You can reheat it either on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Stove: Warm up over medium low heat until heated through and stir it occasionally.
- Microwave: Pour a serving into a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 30 seconds. Pull it out and give it a stir, and then heat it up in 20 second intervals until it is warmed through. You want to be careful to not overcook it.
Can You Freeze Egg Drop Soup?
Eggs become rubbery when frozen, so I wouldn’t recommend freezing the soup with the eggs added. You can definitely freeze the broth though! Then when you are ready to eat it, thaw it and add the eggs as directed in the instructions. The frozen broth will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It’s so simple, it’s healthy, and it’s so flavorful! You’re going to want a second bowl of this easy egg drop soup! Now you don’t have to go a restaurant to get it. You’re welcome!
More Asian Recipes:
- Easy Asian Orange Chicken
- Korean Asian Braised Short Ribs
- Quick and Easy 15-Minute Chicken Stir Fry
- One Pan Simple Asian Shrimp Noodles
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Thai Peanut Steak Salad
- Asian Chicken Skewers with Honey Garlic Sauce
- Pork Dumplings
- Quick and Easy Cashew Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Noodles
- Sweet and Spicy Orange Salmon
- Grilled Sweet and Sour Chicken
- …All of Our Asian Recipes!
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Easy Egg Drop Soup
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Green Onions chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Cold Water
- 3 Large Eggs
- Bring the broth and green onions to a boil over medium high heat.
- Mix the sugar, salt, cornstarch, cold water, sesame oil and soy sauce together and stir into the soup.
- Beat the eggs with 2 more tablespoons of cold water and then pour the mixture into the soup as you stir with a fork to break up the eggs. Cook until eggs are opaque.
- Garnish with more green onions and serve!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.