Have you ever had kugel? Noodle kugel is a traditional Jewish holiday dish made from egg noodles baked in a sweet custard. It can be made in advance, refrigerated and baked before serving, making it perfect for big family get-togethers.
I kept seeing my friends post about this dish around Rosh Hashanah and I was so curious, I had to try it myself! It’s so different from anything I had ever tried. A sweet pasta dish that is used as the main course? I just couldn’t resist!
I researched all the recipes I could find and ended up combining three different recipes to create this one. I’m sold! It’s so good! Perfectly sweet, but hearty enough for a main dish. And my kids thought they were getting away with eating dessert for dinner!
Kugel is pronounced kuh-gull or koo-gull and has been around for hundreds of years. It has got to be good if it has been around for that long! Kugel originates in southern Germany and is a popular option for holidays in that region. It is also a popular dish for family brunches.
Ingredients Needed for Kugel
In order to make kugel, you need a starch, eggs and fat. For the starch, we use egg noodles and for the fat we use a combination of butter, cottage cheese, sour cream and cream cheese. Here is your grocery list. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Egg Noodles
- Cottage Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
How to Make Jewish Kugel
We will start by making the toppingvvv, and then we will move on to making the kugel itself. This is so simple. I can see why it has stood the test of time. It is also be easily scaled up for larger crowds.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter.
- Save to be used later.
- Cook the egg noodles as directed on the package. Drain and rinse.
- Separate the eggs and place the yolks in a large bowl. Beat them with a hand mixer.
- Add the sugar and cream cheese and beat them again.
- Add the noodles, butter (cut into small pieces), sour cream and cottage cheese. Mix everything together well.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until you can create stiff peaks. Then fold the egg whites into the noodle mixture.
- Pour into a buttered 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the topping all over it and bake.
- You can serve it hot, room temperature or cold if you want.
Possible Kugel Variations
I haven’t tried any variations, but I read about people adding raisins or other dried fruits like cherries, apples or apricots. They all sound delicious to me!
I also read about people making savory kugel using potatoes instead of noodles and adding sauteed onions and garlic. These will be next on my to do list!
Is Kugel A Dessert?
Kugel is a casserole of noodles with a creamy, buttery sweet sauce.
It seems like a dessert, but it’s actually a main dish.
How Long Will Kugel Keep?
It can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Can Kugel Be Frozen?
Noodle kugel can be frozen for up to 1 month. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then it can be eaten cold or you can warm it up in the oven.
How Do You Reheat Kugel?
Reheat in the microwave or in a preheated 350°F oven until heated through.
Whether you have been making kugel for years or if this is the first time you’ve heard of it, you should definitely try this recipe. It is perfectly balanced with pasta and custard and just the right amount of sweetness. Be coo-gel…make a kugel! I can’t believe I just went there!
More Holiday Main Dishes:
- Jerusalem Herb Chicken Thighs
- Prime Rib
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Brown Sugar Ham
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
- Garlic Honey Ham
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 16 oz Egg Noodles wide
- 6 Eggs large, separated
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Butter unsalted, softened
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 16 oz Cottage Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9x13” baking dish.
For The Topping
- Stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Set aside.
For the Kugel
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of water until done.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the egg yolks. Add the sugar and cream cheese and beat again.
- Drain and rinse the noodles and mix them with the cream cheese mixture, along with the cut up butter, sour cream and cottage cheese. Mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl using a clean beater until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the noodles and pour into your baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the topping and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Serve hot, room temp or even cold!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.