Baked Spaghetti Pie is one of those classic recipes that’s been around forever, and never gets old. It’s like a simple version of lasagna!
An Easy Spaghetti Pie Casserole
This isn’t your mom’s spaghetti recipe, but it is the baked spaghetti pie recipe your mom wishes she had! You can even use Mom’s spaghetti sauce to bring back some memories.
I have a lot of friends who love Italian food, but feel a bit overwhelmed by it. I can understand that, but this baked spaghetti recipe is not one of those recipes.
Our friend, Jennifer, actually gave us this recipe. She has some of my absolute favorite family recipes. They are the good classics that you leave for college and crave Mom’s such and such. A few months ago she texted me this spaghetti pie recipe and our family was all over it!
Baked spaghetti pie is everything your family wants for an Italian comfort meal! Pasta, sauce, and cheese!
This is a spaghetti recipe different than any other. The addition of cottage cheese adds a new level of creaminess.
Have you ever enjoyed someone’s homemade lasagna but not wanted to go through the hassle? That’s what a baked spaghetti casserole recipe does for you, all the deliciousness with half the work!
There’s something crazy delicious about all of that sauce and the creaminess of the cottage cheese but baking it takes on this yummy caramelization and texture that’s so awesome! Your kids will think this is so fun to take an old spaghetti recipe with their favorite spaghetti sauce and do something totally wild and crazy, like make it into a baked spaghetti!
There’s just something so wonderful about the texture of those noodles and the cheesy deliciousness of the topping. I mean, how many kids would love to plop noodles in a pie dish and make them into a pie crust?
What’s Needed for Baked Spaghetti Pie?
This easy baked spaghetti comes together with ingredients you may have on hand already! If not, head to the store for these ingredients:
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Cottage Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Baked Spaghetti Pie
This is the easiest recipe for spaghetti. We’ve given detailed instructions in the recipe card below, but here are the basic steps for making a spaghetti casserole:
- Cook your pasta.
- Drain and immediately add the butter, parmesan and eggs.
- Place into a dish and top with cottage cheese.
- Now top with sauce.
- Finally, top with 1/2 of the mozzarella and bake.
- Add more mozzarella and bake again.
- Serve with garlic bread or our crusty Artisan Bread.
What to Serve with Baked Spaghetti
Serve this baked spaghetti pie with your favorite pasta sides! A few of our favorite side dishes are:
- Kale Salad
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Italian Veggie Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Herbed Focaccia Bread
- Garlic Roasted Veggies
- Grilled Veggies with Pesto
Tip: Here are all of our Salad Recipes!
What’s the Best Spaghetti Sauce for Baked Spaghetti Casserole?
The spaghetti sauce is crucial in this easy baked spaghetti as the flavor comes from spaghetti sauce! We recommend using our Homemade Spaghetti Sauce recipe, or even better if you use our Bolognese Sauce.
If you don’t have time, I happen to have tested out the best jarred spaghetti sauces from the store. These are our personal picks.
- Rao’s Homemade Marinara
- Paesana Sicilian Gravy (a new favorite!)
- Victoria (from Costco)
- Michael’s of Brooklyn
What Can you Use Instead of Cottage Cheese?
Not everyone is a fan of cottage cheese, so if that’s you try using ricotta cheese. I’ll tell you this, I’m usually all about the authentic ingredients, but I actually feel like the ricotta cheese can be a bit too dry in recipes, so cottage cheese gives that wonderful mild flavor without drying out the dish.
How Do You Know When Spaghetti is Done?
The only way to know if pasta is done is to taste it. Pasta should be cooked to al dente, or firm to the taste, but not chewy in your teeth.
Can I Add Veggies to This Dish?
Absolutely! This baked spaghetti with cottage cheese can be spruced up with sautéed onions, mushrooms, garlic, pease, and so on. You can even add cooked Italian sausage, ground beef, or even chicken!
How Long Will Spaghetti Pie Keep?
Spaghetti should keep for 3-4 days when stored properly. You should store spaghetti pie tightly covered and in the refrigerator, or in a Tupperware.
Can I Freeze This Spaghetti Pie?
Yes! Let cool completely, then wrap the entire pan in a couple layers of plastic wrap and then two layers of foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for the best texture and flavor. You can also use bagged, pre-shredded Parmesan. Just avoid the powdery kind that comes in a shaker can!
- Pasta: We used spaghetti noodles for this recipe since this is a spaghetti pie, but you can use any pasta shape you have on hand.
- Doubling the recipe: This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd! Either bake the spaghetti pie in two pie plates, or bake it in a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
More Easy Pasta Dinners:
- 20-Minute Angel Hair Pasta
- Peanut Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Ravioli with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Spinach
- One Pot Lasagna
- Quick Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
All our Pasta Recipes!
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 6 oz Spaghetti , cooked
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (or margarine)
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs , beaten
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 6 Cups Spaghetti Sauce (about 1 1/2 jars)
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Mix together spaghetti, butter, Parmesan cheese, and eggs.
- Place in the bottom of a pie pan.
- Top with cottage cheese, spaghetti sauce, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Add other half of mozzarella cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.