These Lemon Drop Cookies are sweet deliciousness. No, really. It’s my new favorite next to a warm chocolate chip. Seriously. I know you love your chocolate and I know you are doubting me right now, but just have a little faith. TRY THIS COOKIE, then come back and thank me a million times over for finding it and posting it for you.
You’re welcome 😉
Seriously though, it’s wonderful. These are tender, lemony and oh so perfect. Our oldest daughter has taken these lemon drop cookies on as her own. She makes it all by herself and they turn out just lovely. At first I really wanted to pop in and take over as I could tell she wasn’t beating in the sugar long enough, but I let go of control and just played a supporting role and now, a few batches later they are perfect and we adore them. In fact, I will now keep lemon drops on hand as I do chocolate chips.
How to Make Lemon Drop Cookies
The lemon drops need to be blended in a blender so they are turned into a powder. We measure out 3/4 cups of the drops and then blend them up and whisk them into the dry ingredients.
You can also see all of the steps in this super quick video tutorial for lemon drop cookies recipe.
Can You Use Shortening Instead of Butter?
This recipe uses shortening because with the addition of lemon drops the cookies tend to get dried out so butter is a tricky fat to use as it doesn’t stay as soft in cookies either. Now, we agree that butter is best, so if you need to you can use a little butter and the rest shortening or go ahead and use all butter, but please remember that they will be a more crisp cookie.
It’s also best to use the glaze just a few minutes after the cookies come out of the oven. It soaks in just a little and sets up beautifully.
More COOKIE RECIPES You’re Going to Love:
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Reese’s Pieces Cookies
- NY Times BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Glazed Lemon Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Million Dollar Cookies
- White Chocolate Molasses Cookies
- Nutella and Dulce de Leche Stuffed Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Copycat Swig Sugar Cookies
Lemon Drop Cookies
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Lemon Drop Cookies
Recipe adapted from See Jane in the Kitchen
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter flavored shortening or regular shortening *see note
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 Cup Brach's Lemon Drops - 9oz
- For the glaze
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- juice of two lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add flavorings.
- Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest, and crushed lemon drops (I crush them in my blender).
- Roll into balls, flatten slightly, and bake on parchment lined (if you don't use parchment, cookies will stick to pan) baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on pan for a couple of minutes.
- Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice.
- Brush glaze over cookie tops.
- Let cookies cool completely.