For all our chocoholics out there, we bring you chocolate chip chocolate cookies! Yes, that’s double the chocolate and double the delicious! Soft, moist, and oh so chocolatey!
I had a hard time coming up with a name for this recipe. Should it be “chocolate chip chocolate”? “Chocolate chocolate chip”? Or maybe just “double chocolate chip”? Sheesh! It’s hard to know, but what I do know for sure is that these are DIVINE!
I’m actually more of a fruit dessert kind of gal, and Cade is all about the chocolate, but when I make these cookies, it’s me who can’t stop eating them. I may have even grabbed a couple and eaten them alone in the pantry so I didn’t have to share with my kids. Shhhhhh…yes, I am one of those moms!
What Ingredients Do You Need for Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies?
This recipe starts like regular chocolate chip cookies and then we add all the chocolate! They could actually be called triple chocolate chip cookies because we have chocolate coming from three different directions. Yummmmm!
- Butter (unsalted)
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Devil’s Food Pudding (see section below)
- Chocolate Chips
Jump down to the recipe card for all the exact measurements.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies
These cookies are so simple it’s dangerous!
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a bowl and mix evenly.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them in.
- Scoop balls onto a greased cookie sheet.
Head to the recipe card to for all the detailed instructions.
Where Can I Find Devil’s Food Pudding?
I buy pudding at Walmart. I know Walmart is usually lacking but for some reason they excel at pudding. They have so many flavors. Occasionally, I can’t find the Devil’s Food Jello pudding flavor, so I’ll grab chocolate fudge or just plain ol’ chocolate. Just be sure to not get sugar free.
You can also use a combination of chocolate puddings. You’ll need two of the small boxes of pudding, and you will use one whole box and just part of the second box. Use a kitchen scale to measure exactly 5.1 ounces.
Why Use Pudding in Cookies?
Pudding makes the most soft and moist cookies, not to mention the delicious chocolate flavor. Trust me, you’ll want to put pudding in all your cookies from now on!
Can These Cookies Be Made Ahead of Time?
These are a great make ahead cookie! Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet and then cover the cookie sheet with plastic wrap. Store them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake them the next day. When you are ready to bake them, let them sit on the counter for 15-30 minutes to come to room temperature.
Can You Freeze Cookie Dough?
The best way to freeze cookie dough is to freeze cookie dough is to scoop the cookie dough into balls and drop on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Freeze for 2 hours and then transfer the frozen dough to freezer bags.
When you are ready to bake them, let them sit out on the counter for 30 minutes to come to room temperature and then bake as directed.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies
- It’s very important that you purchase INSTANT pudding and not the cook and serve kind. The cook and serve style of pudding won’t work for this recipe.
- When adding in the instant pudding mix, add it like any other dry ingredient. You don’t actually make the pudding mix like it says on the box. Just stir it into the dough like you would normal flour.
- To make our homemade chocolate chip cookies even prettier, we like to add a few extra chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks as seen in the photos) on top of the dough balls right before baking. It’s an extra step, but it’s so worth it!
- We like to sprinkle a little flaked sea salt on top. That salt on top gives the best flavor! It’s totally optional, but makes for much prettier pictures! 🙂
How Long Will Cookie Dough Keep In The Freezer?
Cookie dough will keep for 3 months in the freezer.
How Do You Store Cookies?
Let cookies cool completely and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Have you decided what the best name for this recipe should be? Leave us a comment and let us know what you think! For now it’s chocolate chip chocolate cookies. Chocolate twice which just means yes and yes again!
More COOKIE RECIPES You’re Going to Love:
- Best Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Reese’s Pieces Cookies
- NY Times BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Glazed Lemon Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Million Dollar Cookies
- White Chocolate Molasses Cookies
- Nutella and Dulce de Leche Stuffed Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Drop Cookies
- Copycat Swig Sugar Cookies
Video How to Make Chocolate Cookies
The Best Chocolate Cookies
- 2 Cups Butter, Unsalted and softened (4 sticks)
- 4 Eggs, large
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 5 Cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 Box Pudding, 5.1 oz. (large) instant Devil’s Food *see note
- 3 Cups Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter, eggs, sugars, vanilla in large bowl until evenly mixed
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa and pudding
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients.
- Once ingredients are combined slowly mix in chocolate chips.Scoop into 1/4 cup balls or smaller if you prefer and roll into balls to get the shiny coating.
- Place on greased cooking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
I made these a few months ago for a writing retreat. It was a hit with everyone. They aren’t too sweet, which lends itself to eating more than one probably ought to. But that’s not a bad thing! Great recipe!!
Chocolate chip cookies should always be eaten in bulk in my opinion! I’m so glad you loved these!
These truly were the best chocolate cookies!!!! I just did a bake off with 3 other chocolate cookie recipes from popular bloggers. One of which included a Levain copycat…. and without a doubt these cookies blew the others out of the park. I didn’t even want to eat the other ones after I ate these cookies, haha!!
Side note — I used chocolate pudding mix because I couldn’t find devil’s food chocolate pudding mix. But can confirm, still works and still absolutely incredible!!
Yay!! Thank you so much Emily! I want to do a chocolate cookie bake off! Sounds so yummy! Thank you so much for taking time to give us feedback! I appreciate it so much!