I tried olive oil in my granola for the first time and I’m sold for life! This simple homemade granola is going to be your new favorite too! And you can totally add your favorite mix-ins!
I am OBSESSED with granola, but as I only buy coconut oil for granola and otherwise it sits stagnant in my pantry, I started testing out other options. With time I fell in love with olive oil and upon a quick google search discovered I wasn’t the only one. I eventually adapted my original strawberry almond granola with fOOD 52’s recipe and it has been the best granola I’ve not only made, but eaten!
Ingredients for the Best Granola
A good granola only needs a few ingredients and it’s so customizable! Here is the list of ingredients:
- Oats – old fashioned oats work best, they give the granola structure and are also heart-healthy
- If you want gluten free granola, be sure the oats are gluten free.
- Pumpkin Seeds – add a great texture to the granola and are a rich source of protein, vitamins and minerals
- Almonds – adds protein and healthy fat
- Maple Syrup – natural sweetener, honey works great too
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – the fat that holds the granola together and gives it that awesome crunch
- Brown Sugar – adds the perfect about of sweetness and flavor
- Kosher Salt – don’t skip this, it enhances all the flavors
The measurements for each ingredients are listed in the recipe card below. See the section below on options for other mix-ins.
How to Make Homemade Granola
Another spectacular thing about granola, aside from it being delicious, is that it’s super easy to make:
- Preheat the oven and prep a baking sheet.
- Stir all the ingredients together in a large bowl and spread on baking sheet.
- Bake, stir and bake some more.
- Let it cool completely before breaking it up and storing.
More Optional Mix-Ins
The mix-ins or possible substitutions in this recipe are almost endless. Here are a few ideas:
- Nuts: pecans, slivered almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds
- Sweets: chocolate chips, coconut flakes, mini M&Ms
- Dried Fruit: citrus zest, craisins, raisins, any diced dried fruit
- Flavor: cinnamon, vanilla, peanut butter
If you add any chocolate or dried fruits, add it after after baking.
Tips for the Best Granola
Here are a few tips for making the best homemade granola:
- Use old fashioned oats. They hold up better than quick oats and make the perfect base.
- Press into a flat even layer before baking.
- Let the granola cool before breaking it up.
- Stir the granola part way through baking. This helps all the granola to get crunchy so you don’t have any soft spots.
How to Eat Granola
You can of course eat it with milk just like you would eat a bowl of cold cereal. Mmmmmm it’s so good!
I love granola tossed on top of some homemade yogurt with some fresh berries in a parfait.
You can also just snack on plain granola by the handful!
Is Granola Healthy?
Yes, in moderation of course. Too much of anything isn’t healthy, but all the ingredients are natural and full of nutrients. This recipe is a great source of fiber, protein and healthy fat.
How to Store Granola
This recipe is best stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Whether you need a healthy and filling snack for your kids after school or some granola for parfaits at your next brunch, this granola recipe is the one for you! And you’re going to love the flavor of the olive oil!
More Granola Recipes:
- Strawberry Almond Granola
- Chocolate Lovers Granola
- Pecan Quinoa Granola
- Pistachio Pomegranate Granola
- Honey Bunches of Oats Granola Bars
- S’mores Granola Bars
- Green Smoothie Granola Parfait
My New Favorite Granola Recipe
- 3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 3/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Rice Krispies Cereal, or puffed rice, optional
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds, optional
- Heat oven to 300 and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Stir everything together in one large bowl and spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove to cool and break up into a jar for storage.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.