I’ve had this lovely little bag of Pecans sitting in the cupboard for a few days just eyeing me every time I opened the door so today it was all about the pecans. I wanted a quick snack that I could grab while running around doing errands or to have with a little bowl of yogurt as a mid morning snack but I also wanted something that would fill me up a little more so I decided on Pecan Quinoa Granola.
I love creating recipes with a specific ingredient or brand. I know that not all bloggers enjoy it but for me it makes me think and play around with ingredients more which is exactly what I love about cooking. I love to experiment with flavors and ideas, but keep things totally realistic. In some ways it’s almost easier to create an over the top recipe than it is to keep it really simple. I know that sounds crazy, but when you’re making something new you often throw everything in so it can get hard to simplify. This granola is definitely simple. Just a few ingredients stirred together and I love that it’s a little more on the salty and warm side unlike our strawberry almond granola which is sweet. Sometimes you just want a more salty snack than something sweet and this totally fits the bill. Plus, the pecans give off their own warm, nuttiness without you doing anything other than chopping them up.
What Is Quinoa?
Quinoa is a grain.
Quinoa is found in the Andes, where it was widely cultivated for its edible starchy seeds before the introduction of Old World grains.
The seeds of the quinoa are used as food and in the production of alcoholic drinks.
Is Quinoa Gluten Free?
Quinoa is gluten free, however, quinoa does have “gluten like” storage proteins that can mimic proteins found in wheat, barley, and rye.
Because of these proteins, a person with celiac may not be able to safely eat quinoa.
Are Pecans Good For You?
Pecans are a healthy snack.
Pecans are high in healthy unsaturated fat and just a handful a day can lower “bad” cholesterol.
They also contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B, and E, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.
Pecan Quinoa Granola
Pecan Quinoa Granola
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats old fashioned, not quick
- 1/2 cup pecans Fischer's nuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg white whisked
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the oil, brown sugar, honey, and agave.
- Heat until just starting to simmer, remove from the heat and add the vanilla, stirring to combine.
- In a large bowl, stir together the quinoa, oats, pecans, seasoning, and salt.
- Pour the hot syrup over the top and stir to combine.
- Add the egg white and stir again then spread out on a parchment lined 9x13" baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and then break into clusters for snacking.