French toast has been one of my favorite breakfasts since I was a little girl. I love it no matter how it’s made, regular bread to specialty bread. But I still had to discover how to make the best french toast recipe, and I did!
This recipe is your classic French toast with a surprising ingredient in the batter. I can’t wait for you to try this! You’ll never do French toast any other way!
A long time ago I was a little 7 or maybe 8 year old and my uncle came to visit. My dad’s brother was super into his convertible and we all loved to hop in and go for rides with the top down. He was so cool.
One day we were sitting around for breakfast and my mom made french toast. Uncle Richard reached for the homemade maple syrup, hesitated and then switched to the homemade raspberry syrup and drizzled it all over the french toast quickly followed by powdered sugar. I was shocked. That much sugar on french toast and Mom didn’t say a word!
I kept my eyes on my mom, stretched my skinny little arm out and snagged the powdered sugar. I was already halfway through my french toast but I sprinkled the heck out of the powdered sugar on my breakfast. It was so good!!!
Now I still will add a dusting here or there, but I don’t cover the whole thing like I used to.
It’s so funny how much people influence our eating habits. Years later I was sitting at the kitchen counter at a friend’s house and his mom offered me french toast (yes, please!!!) but she added cheese to her’s.
I felt that turn in my stomach immediately, this isn’t right. Cheese in scrambled eggs, cheese on a breakfast sandwich, but not cheese on french toast. Save that for a grilled cheese at lunch, folks.
So obviously I had to try it. There’s no choice, you tell me your family has a tradition and I’m totally game on trying it.
My mind couldn’t wrap around the idea of cheesy french toast at the age of 20, but taking that first bite sold me. It didn’t matter if it seemed all wrong, I was in.
Now, I didn’t photograph it that way because I’ve never been able to remember if the cheese was inside or outside and I’m a weirdo about doing things right, but I will tell you this, it started my love of sweet and salty!
You should try some of our other sweet and salty recipes! Try our Salted Caramel Pretzel Snaps, Ritz Reese’s S’mores Bars, M&M Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark, Easy Kettle Corn, or our 5 Minute Reese’s Snack Mix.
What Type of Bread Should be Used?
You could use a decent white sandwich bread, and this will be delicious. But if you really want to do it right, go with brioche or challah. Texas toast will also work great too!
Why Add Flour to the Batter?
The surprising ingredient I mentioned earlier is flour. Adding flour to the batter thickens it just slightly so you won’t even notice it, but it keeps the French toast from being just fried egg on bread. It makes a perfectly crispy crust on the bread.
French Toast Ingredients:
It is likely that you have all the ingredients you need in your fridge already. This recipe is simple. Here is what you will need:
- Whole Milk
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Nutmeg (optional)
Simple, right?! I love a recipe I can make with a moment’s notice and not have to worry about having all the ingredients!
How to Make the BEST French Toast
We have a few tips for making the best French toast!
- Whisk the batter thoroughly until it is totally smooth with no separation
- Pour the batter into a shallow dish like a casserole dish or a pie plate. It allows the bread to get coated easily.
- Completely preheat the griddle to medium before adding the French toast. The French toast will cook fast – about a minute on each side.
- Butter the griddle before cooking your first round of bread
- Allow the bread to soak in the batter for 15-20 second on each side
Can I Make this Recipe Dairy Free?
This recipe can easily be made dairy free be substituting the milk with either coconut milk or almond milk. The batter will be a little different consistency, but it will still be super tasty! Then coat the griddle with something other than butter…coconut oil or a cooking spray works great.
Can it be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes absolutely! Cook the french toast as directed in the instructions and then store them on a baking sheet in the oven that is set to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. That will keep it nice and warm until you are ready to serve it.
Can French Toast be Frozen?
Yes! French toast makes a great freezer breakfast because it reheats well and quickly! To freeze French toast, cook it as directly and then allow it to cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Once it has cooled, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can stack a few layers of French toast on top of each other as long as you separate each layer with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet into the freezer until the French toast is solid. Store the French toast in freezer bags for up to 1 – 2 months.
How Do I Reheat French Toast?
There are three ways to reheat French toast. They all work great. It just depends on how much time you have.
- Toaster – pop them in a toaster just like a piece of toast, the outside gets nice and toasty again
- Oven – place the French toast in a single layer on a baking sheet and warm them up in the oven at 300 degrees for 5-7 minutes
- Microwave – zap them in the microwave for about a minute, the outside won’t be crispy
Your search for how to make French toast ends here! This is the best batter, with the best kind of bread, with all the tips for how to cook it perfection! Cover these babies in our sensational buttermilk syrup, and you’ll be in breakfast heaven! Who wants to join me for breakfast?!
More Sweet BREAKFAST RECIPES You’re Sure to Love:
- Melt in your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes
- Bananas Foster French Toast
- Puffy French Toast
- Apple French Toast Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Peach Cobbler French Toast Casserole
- Ultimate Waffles
- Apple Bacon Waffles with Cider Syrup
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pie Pancakes with Cinnamon Caramel Syrup
- Instant Pot Blueberry French Toast Bake
- All Sweet Breakfast Recipes!
All our AMAZING SYRUP recipes:
- Buttermilk Syrup
- Coconut Buttermilk
- Meyer Lemon Syrup
- Buttermilk Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
- Milky Way Syrup
- Creamy Marionberry Syrup
- Creamy Chocolate Syrup
- Strawberry Syrup
- Reese’s Syrup
- Homemade Pancake Syrup
How to Make Perfect French Toast
- Electric Griddle
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 3/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 Dash Cinnamon optional
- 1 Dash Nutmeg optional
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Loaf Brioche or Challah Bread Texas Toast can be used
- Beat the egg in a baking dish or pie plate.
- Whisk in the melted butter, then slowly add the milk and vanilla, whisking to combine.
- Add the sugar and flour while continuing to whisk until totally smooth.
- Soak each side of the bread in the batter for about 15-20 seconds.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and spread butter all over the bottom. I just hold a stick and rub it everywhere.
- Cook the bread for about 1 minute, or until golden and flip the bread, cooking on the other side for equal time or until golden.
- Serve with buttermilk syrup or any favorite syrup!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.