Well this is it, the only pumpkin recipe you need for the entire holiday season. I know, I’ve posted a lot of pumpkin but Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars are the winners.
Is Nutella Healthy for You?
Though the spread contains saturated fat and sugar, it also supplies a good amount of key vitamins and minerals that you need for good health.
The hazelnuts in Nutella might also boost the health of your heart, making it a fairly nutritious food to occasionally incorporate into your healthy eating plan.
Because of the sugar and fat, Nutella should be used as a dessert ingredient rather than a staple snack.
Pumpkin bars, pumpkin cake, pumpkin cookies, are you tired of pumpkin yet? I’m not. I should be, especially as a food blogger. As a food blogger you’re expected to be the first to start pumping things out so that your “readers” will look to you as a resource, but we couldn’t start until it was at least August. 😉
Yup, that puts us a little behind and probably hurts our site a little because we aren’t being pinned on pinterest as much but you all make it up to us by leaving such sweet comments when we do start talking about the fall favorite, pumpkin.
These are such easy to make pumpkin bars but they are a step above your typical bar recipe. The filling is a quick snack cake recipe that just takes pumpkin, a few warm spices and oil instead of straight butter to keep the crumb moist and tender.
The rest is simple, but oh so delicious. You’ll be antsy to dig in as soon as you see those swirls. Cream cheese, softened of course is beat together with dreamy chocolate nutella spread and then dolloped all over the bars. I like going three blobs, next row two blobs, and on so that it creates a window pattern like when you would sing in choir and the conductor wanted everyone to be seen.
Next, grab a trusty butter knife and start dragging it through the blobs and all over the bars to create beautiful swirls. I’ll admit, I often get carried away and some pieces end up all chocolate instead of swirls so just practice restraint. Sprinkle on chocolate chips and pop the whole thing in the oven.
I love that this recipe not only tastes fantastic but it’s a sheet pan recipe so it easily feeds a crowd or makes enough to section off onto plates for neighbor treats.
How Long Will Pumpkin Bars Keep?
Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars can be stored in an airtight container within the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can You Freeze Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars?
These pumpkin bars freeze beautifully (and thaw extremely quickly!), staying incredibly moist without getting soggy.
Make sure you try out the recipe, take a photo and share it on instagram tagging #ohsweetbasil @ohsweetbasil so we can see your creations!
Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars
Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars
For the Cake
- 2 Cups Canned Pumpkin
- 1 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 5 Medium Eggs or 3 XL or 4 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour [measure] like this
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
For the Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Nutella
- A dash of vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a jelly roll or cookie sheet pan with parchment or foil.
- Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the pumpkin, oil, vanilla, eggs and sugar until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and seasonings.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with the mixer on low speed.
- Mix until just combined and pour onto the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the nutella and sugar and beat again until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Add dollops of the cream cheese mixture all over the pan, I prefer to do a row of three, two, three and so on.
- Using a knife, drag swirls through the cake batter and cream cheese swirls.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and slice!